Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Shower repair advice needed

Page 1 of 1
Hi There. Looking for advice on two different shower repairs.

Shower 1:

- Various gaps in grout and spots where grout is brittle
- Some grout lines very thin (<1mm)
- Drain is butted up against tile in one spot with little to no gap for grout or silicone
- Water leaks out from gap in silicone below shower bed
- I scraped out the grout along one line with a piece of hacksaw blade (the only thing thin enough to fit in there) however old grout was still wet after 2+ weeks drying time
- Still some moisture in gap between tiles after 6+ weeks without using shower
- No signs of water damage to ceiling directly below bathroom

Here's what I'm curious about:
- Are the thin grout lines problematic? Looks like it would be hard to push fresh grout in to such a thin gap
- Moisture between the tiles after 6+ weeks... Is there water pooling below the tiles and is this normal for a shower with gaps in the grout?
- Is it a problem that the drain is butted up directly against the tiles?
- What can be done to fix it? Is it safe to just re-grout the base and re-silicone around the bottom edge of the shower bed?

Shower 2:

- Poor installation job
- Door opening isn't wide enough and glass scrapes on both sides (framing above & below door cut too short perhaps?)
- Frame doesn't sit flush with edges of basin
- Can it be fixed?

Related
28/08/2023
Ceiling Repair

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi All, Hoping someone might be be to provide some advice on my ceiling that needs repair. Photos attached, but seems like the alcove (??) is pulling away. Thanks Thomas

14/12/2023
Repair of 20yr old latent defect (SA)

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

The intent of that sort of clause is being misaaplied. its suposed to be used to avoid paying out for things liek when you decided to do a reno yourself and the…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum