Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Shower screed confusion

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone, new member here. Have a question and would like your opinions as there seems to be some knowledgeable people here.
My bathroom is on the second level so the floor consists of wooden floor joists, a chipboard floor then
cement board on top and covered in waterproofing.
The old screed looked like sandstone (prob sand/cement) and was REALLY stuck down.
Do I need a bonded or unbonded screed?
Either way the screed can only be 11-12mm thick.
The general consensus I have heard is bonded for concrete ground floor slab and unbonded for upstairs.
Does anyone have experience with this?
What would the best screed mix be for this purpose?
Any needed additives?
at that thickness it needs to be bonded. Use a floor levelling compound. Make sure waterproofing, leveller and tile glue are all compatible ie same company. Be sure to prime carefully
Ok thanks, I thought so as well because it is so thin. The old screed was extremely hard to remove so was probably bonded.
Needed a heavy-duty jack hamer.

Unfortuantely, I've thrown it all out so cannot check if a bonding agent was used.
Related
30/07/2023
Screed - is this an issue

General Discussion

Hi all, We're curring working on our outdoor and have some questions in relation to screed. I've tried to find information online, without success. Apologies for the…

15/12/2023
Hydronic in screed -> insulation underneath necessary or no?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Currently renovating, and our main lounge is 5m x 10m, with a cathedral roof peaking at 6.5m high. Currently have tiles on concrete slab. Room is very hard to heat. I am…

29/03/2024
Bathroom screed

Bathrooms and Laundry

Levelling compound also works well for this, you can feather it and it doesn’t self level at this low thickness , you can build up in layers if need be.

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum