Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Sewer smell in bathrooms

Page 3 of 3
Both main and ensuite, everywhere you mention except we actually haven't noticed the smell in the toilet bowls. At the moment the Dekfits are making the place liveable but we are aware that there is still a problem, and if we close the doors to the ensuite and/or bathroom for any length of time the smell is very obvious when we open the doors again again.
After removing and scrubbing the Dekfits because they smelt so bad, it has taken two weeks in the outside air to remove the smell from the rubber. There's got to be a better way.
got my toilet swapped and re setted. Its been a week. Seems to be good lucinda
Oh, that's very good news, B STAR.

We are going to get someone to check the things that weren't checked with the camera inspection. Hopefully that will happen soon. Fingers crossed, the dryer weather lately seems to have had a positive effect and the smell hasn't been as disgusting and I haven't put the Dekfits back in. There is a lingering unpleasant odour, but not the strong sewage smell.
Hi Lucinda I notice the dry weather having a positive affect. I remember when i first was having issiues it was only after it rained. I thought it was due to using water tank water. Dont let them get caught up in external factors. Remember external impacts should affect the normal operation of your bathroom. From my experience the back to wall toilets are something that should be checked.
Will do B STAR. And thanks so much for sharing your experience. Hope your new toilets are nicely sealed and keeping the pong away.

When we first complained, and since, there has been an underlying hint that we are inventing the smell--they say things like if the smell exists or something to that effect, and once, the plumber who came to investigate said he couldn't smell anything (but he also said he no longer has a sense of smell!). Makes me think they think it's something I'm doing wrong or not doing right. However, we are pushing ahead with an independent investigation. Not cheap! but something we feel we have to invest in. If the smell is back as strong as it was when we finally get some rain we will be grateful--if not, we will be winners anyway because the smell will have gone.
bleach can make the smell worse, maybe put some in and see how it goes. Keep in mind in my case putting bleach kills the smell for a few days before it comes back even stronger.
I suppose that's because the bleach kills off the good bacteria as well as the bad. What product did you use?
I used many things i was experimenting all the time. I also tried pool cleaner. That stuff is so strong.

Your spot on about it killing the good bacteria.
Related
17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

18/08/2023
Sewer Inspection Point

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi, I have this sewer inspection point sitting in an odd spot in the rear of my yard: https://imgur.com/ghLI98q What I'd like to do is put a firepit in that corner of…

27/08/2023
Sewer pipes under slab

General Discussion

Thanks that link in particular is really useful.

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum