Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Palmetto problems

Page 1 of 1
I got my back yard laid with Palmetto exactly 5 weeks ago on sunday 5th March. This is what it looked like on day of laying:

For the next 3 weeks, I diligently watered every day early morning and evening (bout 4.30). I didn't water in the next few days because cyclone Debbie started happening, and being on the gold coast, we got reports that the aftermath would make its way down here by Thursday 30th, which it did. Ever since then it's mostly been sunny and hot with a couple of rainy or overcast days between then and now. About nearly a week after our deluge, my lawn started to thin out and get brown and looking like this:

Is this from too much water or not enough? Is it salvageable? Last weekend I aerated with a pitchfork.

Also second issue. My front yard (laid last October) is thriving, except for the patches that have soil over them. The soil patches were thrown over same day as backyard was laid, was excess organic underturf from backyard, so 5 weeks too. Will the Palmetto eventually grow over ? If not can I get Buffalo seeds to cover these patches?

Von I would almost certainly think straight up that lawn grubs or beatles are in there. They normally looove new lawn...do you have alot of like nests along your gutters and eaves?...That would be my first guess, next would be some sort b of fungal disease...I dont know much about palmetto but id do some research to see what its weaknesses are..but id start with the grubs and beetle treatment first...

marcoola
Von I would almost certainly think straight up that lawn grubs or beatles are in there. They normally looove new lawn...do you have alot of like nests along your gutters and eaves?...That would be my first guess, next would be some sort b of fungal disease...I dont know much about palmetto but id do some research to see what its weaknesses are..but id start with the grubs and beetle treatment first...

Thanks Marcoola. The Brown areas run the entire length of the yard. It is L shaped and son runs down both sides and not just patchy in some areas which made me think it wasn't grubs or beetles.

I didn't see any nests either along gutters or eaves but I did see a wasps one in the alfresco ceiling but that was before the turf was done. I also discounted it might not be a fungal disease because I thought the tips would be white or mildewy or something, but you never know. Might go the landscaping place I got it from and show them the pics and ask if they know.

Coral Homes Avoca 25 in Gainsborough Greens Gold Coast

Viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81406
Please don't use lawn beetle killers.
The Garden Whisperer
Please don't use lawn beetle killers.

Elaborate....?

Related
16/12/2023
Brick Problems - Acid Burn?

Building A New House

I am not a brick expert, but rendering would be 1 option, it would be costly to do the entire house though....

24/02/2024
Weed problems

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all, has anyone been ask to do the weeds in their property while in the middle of build? We are under the impression that they are in control of the site while they…

16/04/2024
Bathroom floor problems

Bathrooms and Laundry

Have had a few issues with out recently done bathroom floor. Probably around 18 months old First there has been been a crack running through a grout line which I put…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum