Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Pump required for large garden

Page 1 of 1
What size pump should I be after to pump water to a 1 acre yard with pop up sprinklers? No more than 4 sprinklers would run at once.
The distance between the pump and the sprinklers would be quite a long way.
It's all about friction loss. You might be looking at 32mm LDPE or even green stripe, depending on the pump's static head.

The rules are...

The higher the velocity, the higher the friction loss.

To double the flow rate through a centrifugal pump requires X4 the hydraulic head but 8 times the energy.

Doubling a pipes (true) internal diameter increases the volume X4 but if you double the internal diameter and retain the same hydraulic head, the flow rate will increase by (about) X6.

Larger pipes are cheaper than bigger pumps.

There are plenty of friction loss tables for the various pipes at different velocities online. The losses for the varying pipe diameters at different velocities are mostly given per 100 feet or metres. All you need to know is the pump's static head plus the required flow at the sprinklers and go forward (actually backwards) from there. There are also several good flow come friction loss calculators online.
It would depend on the lph that your 4 sprinklers need. I have a few acres and I have run a 40mm green line poly as a ring around the yard and have 3 points where the stations come off. it is fed with a grundfos constant pressure pump that does around 2000 lph so I just limit the stations to this. I found it cheaper long term to run 40mm poly and controller wire out to the points than have one central point and the hundreds of metres of poly coming out of this
Related
2/07/2023
Ballpark figure to convert large WIL to small WC ?

Bathrooms and Laundry

consider putting in wall WC instead of robe in the same bedroom, then it might be doable to hook up to the existing piping.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum