Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Temporary ground cover

Page 1 of 1
Can anyone help. Our house has just been built and back yard has not had turf layed yet. Ground is just dirt. I am having a party and am trying to find a cheap way to cover at space of ground about 5m x 7m which is pretty tough that i could put tables and chairs on.

Cheap as poss. Can anyone help?
LOL, i suppose synthetic turf is out of the qtn then...

BUT, what if you pegged down 2 layers of green tarps on top of each other, around the area? (
ok dont laugh...lol) I say green as it will look sort of like grass....thats all. You can use any colour you wanted.

I'd say as long as no one wears stiletto's you should be fine i thought and somewhat cheap - Get decent quality tarps though, not the tiny ones from the $2 shop but strong ones that you will be able to hose off and perhaps use again some day???

Just my 2 cents worth.
Now this is where "weed mat" is your friend and it is what it's intended use is for. You will need to compact the earth first. It is your single cheapest option. Just don't buy the weed mat made like a soft material substance. Get the stuff that looks like a tarp.
This is what weve done for our patio, until we get around to decking (its lasted 6 months so far and still looks good)
Very simple, flatten ground (just a slight incline to encourage water to run off) cover with weed mad (as Fu said) then pour about 2 cubic meters of 10mm stone (we used cheap stone but its a little sharp and can hurt your bare feet) on mat and spread. You can build a wooden border around if you like (better if you do this before you pour stone).
The beauty of this, is that you can move it to another location when you get around to planting grass.
stu
This is what weve done for our patio, until we get around to decking (its lasted 6 months so far and still looks good)
Very simple, flatten ground (just a slight incline to encourage water to run off) cover with weed mad (as Fu said) then pour about 2 cubic meters of 10mm stone (we used cheap stone but its a little sharp and can hurt your bare feet) on mat and spread. You can build a wooden border around if you like (better if you do this before you pour stone).
The beauty of this, is that you can move it to another location when you get around to planting grass.

I will probably do something similar for my outdoor area until It's all completed - the roof will be done before the final flooring
Related
15/06/2023
Duplexes with Temporary Underground Services

Building A New House

Hi JW I just read your post and I find this situation quite strange. When we build, we get a temp pole for construction which becomes the permanent pole for one of the…

30/09/2023
Temporary bracing for partition wall

General Discussion

Hi all, Not sure if this is a good place for this question but I guess we'll find out! I'm a novice, building a modular room inside my garage/shed and need to create…

8/09/2023
Can you cover up a window in a bathroom ?

Bathrooms and Laundry

No probs, thanks for the reply...

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum