Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Retaining wall and landscaping near pool - need advice

Page 1 of 1
Hi.

I'm southwest Brisbane. For a couple of years now, my tired old (10 years old) treated pine retaining wall at the front of the property (1m high) has been falling apart and coming to bits. Behind it is a 40,000 concrete shell pool. The pool genuinely isn't going anywhere fast - but the wall is coming apart, the colourbond fence that sits atop the wall is coming down and it is now subsiding the concrete at the front edge of the pool. It's about 11.5m of wall frontage that needs replacement.

The previous owners did the cheapest nastiest thing they could - they used treated pine H4 timber for the retaining wall and went to the minimum bare height they needed to before it'd become an "engineered" problem. So much so that the concrete slopes downwards across the pool area to meet the lower wall. It literally lasted 10 years then has just started to crumble, bow and crack.

After months and months of wildly varying quotes - I'm incredibly frustrated.

What I've concluded so far is the following:

It's been a really rotten experience as we get quote after expensive quote.

*ONE company so far has given me what seems to be an almost holistic perspective (they'd try to do everything we've asked...that is, build me a retaining wall, level my concrete, put my pool fence up):

...is $35,500.

I'm frustrated and confused. None of them will give me any clarity on design or dedicated planning - everyone just draws me a sketch. I even offered to pay a company to come out and consult and do it properly - and they never showed up!

What am I missing here? Clearly, I'm going about this the wrong way.

I'm looking for a holistic approach to get the concrete level, get the ground around the pool level, get the retaining wall "done right" - but nobody seems to provide me an end-to-end approach.

I'd really appreciate the input from some experienced folks here. I've never engaged landscaping/retaining wall services in my life - but so far, it's all coming across as really hasty, rushed, poorly thought out and "seat of pants" style entities that aren't really there to help me with the big picture - they'll just do their bit and rack off.

Given the huge variation in quotes and what people are willing to provide - I am not sure if the costings I have for the one entity that gave me some end-to-end advice is even sane. $35k seems like a stunning amount of money for a retaining wall and some concreting, right? Or am I misguided and just don't understand the costs of this industry?

Can anyone recommend whom I should be engaging with? What way I should turn? Can upload photos if useful.

Thanks.

z
1m high retaining wall is very high and trying to avoid engineering is bad, but everyone tries to do that because of cost. I say build it right from the beginning and overall everyone wins. The single most important thing with retaining walls is to make sure water has a place to go and I would never personally use treated timber for anything higher than 400ish.

In your situation I would use a trade to get the retaining wall repaired/replaced first and deal with the rest after that. It is after all the thing that holds everything else together. To me it doesn’t matter what type of wall it is as long as it has the right drainage, timber has the shortest life span. My personal opinion is walls that size should be concrete besser blocks at minimum with a very deep footing. Can get very nice looking ones these days, at least in NSW. But I’m no engineer!:)

It will be expensive. You could:

1. get a builder/structural landscaper to supervise and manage the whole project, expect 20% builders margin, $2000 for engineering, $1000 for DA, $30K total not unreasonable.

or

2. engage engineer yourself, get engineering plans then draw construction plans yourself then get the subcontractors in, in the correct order and you take all the risk if the pool cracks.

you can’t expect a landscaper to act as engineer, builder, draftsman etc and warrant a job over what they normally do.

post photos here and you will get more varied advice based on individual experience, most likely ok and will work, some probably much like the treated pine wall…
Related
18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

1/06/2024
Need your opinion about a retaining wall

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi everyone, a contractor build a "retaining wall" for me and after 3 months there was a crack. They "repaired" the crack by adding an expansion joint where the crack…

4/04/2024
New Home Build - Boundary Retaining Wall replacement advice

Building A New House

Can anyone recommend a good/affordable retaining wall and fence builder that I can get a quote from located in Sydney?

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum