Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Stuck tap washer (jumper valve)

Page 1 of 1
Hi - I change the washers on my taps and use a reseating tool before placing in a new washer - mostly the o-ring variety.

However, with the shower tap which is in need of a new washer, I cannot remove the washer. It moves around on the seat but I can't pull it out. This is the only time I've ever seen this. I've given it a fairly serious yank while gripping onto it with pliers but it won't come out. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Hi,

The rubber part (or it it might be teflon-like plastic) has expanded under the pressure of closure until it is bigger than the thread of the body above. You just need to get a really good grip on the stem with a big pair of pliers or multigrips, and pull hard.

Beware though, as the washer stem and backing may separate suddenly from the rubber part itself. If that happens you can generally deform the rubber enough to get it out.

Cheers
Hi

Thanks - that's good advice. I'll give it a try.

Cheers
Hi

I need to provide an update on this after completing the job. This tap is for the shower and due to the depth of the wall there is a spindle extender. So before I could get at the washer I needed to unscrew another 'extender body housing' (don't know the correct name). Once this came off, I could get at the washer which came out fairly easily, do the reseating, and insert a new washer, then screw in the extra housing, then the spindle together with the spindle extender.
Hi boyds I just found your message it is along time ago but are you still contactable. I have the same problem and cannot figure how to remove the 'e tender bidy housing' Thankyou.
Tonymoon
Hi boyds I just found your message it is along time ago but are you still contactable. I have the same problem and cannot figure how to remove the 'e tender bidy housing' Thankyou.

Hi Tonymoon - did you figure out how to remove the tap extender body?
Cheers m8
Related
23/05/2024
Dish washer not getting water. Defect aquastop?

Kitchen Appliances

I get an error message on my dishwasher (whirlpool ADG 7580) indicating that the water inlet is closed. I think there is a…

1/01/2024
Back-flow Prevention Valve ?

Building A New House

Good luck with it. I don't know what the cost of a nice bidet seat with a 25mm air gap will be but you are obviously deducting the cost of a RPZ valve and its…

13/01/2024
Bidet - RPZ (Reduced Pressure Zone) valve

Bathrooms and Laundry

First time building 2 storey home, is under construction (in Framing stage) in NSW. I have 3 toilets and need bidet spray in…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum