Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Bad stone bench top

Page 1 of 1
I've been searching for info on this but can't find anything. I've just had a new reconstituted stone bench top put in less than 2 months ago. The installer never cleaned it. So his greasy finger prints were all over it, they were impossible to clean off and have just sort of blended in to the other smudges and marks I can't clean off. It was never beautiful shiny black like I assumed it was supposed to be. It's smudgy and has marks all over it. I've tried warm soapy water and some stone foam they recommended. What I want to know is that, is it possible I have some kind of inferior quality stone installed, I'm not sure if there is an inferior quality stone or not.
Hi Toomanywhites,

are you able to post a photo? What brand is the stone? And what is the stone mason who installed the stone saying? Sounds like he needs to return and finish the job off properly.
Some stone companies do have slab seconds which can save the stone masons money, and these may contain imperfections.
I would get the installer back to take a look.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tips. This one is called Smart Stone. I can't post a pic because the glare from the kitchen light means the photo doesn't show anything useful and that is when it looks it's worst
Toomanywhites
Thanks for the tips. This one is called Smart Stone. I can't post a pic because the glare from the kitchen light means the photo doesn't show anything useful and that is when it looks it's worst

Smartstone is a good quality product.

I would be getting your stone mason back as its his responsibility!
I don't understand then, if it's good quality stone why it looks so bad. How can it go wrong?
Toomanywhites
I don't understand then, if it's good quality stone why it looks so bad. How can it go wrong?

There are many of reasons it can go wrong!!!!

The stone comes polished from the manufacturer but if not treated well in the factory or onsite during installation can be damaged. I have seen finger prints left on stone from silicone and the glue they use. I have also seen the surface damaged by dust from plasterers.

First port of call is the stone mason, have you been in touch with him?? Its his responsibility!!!
I just saw him today. But I'm sure he thinks I'm exaggerating since you can only see how truely bad it is at night. He is going to contact the stone company. I guess I just have to wait and see what happens next. I was so excited about getting stone. I hope they come through for me.
Toomanywhites
I just saw him today. But I'm sure he thinks I'm exaggerating since you can only see how truely bad it is at night. He is going to contact the stone company. I guess I just have to wait and see what happens next. I was so excited about getting stone. I hope they come through for me.

What brand of stone is it??

If you don't have any luck with the stone mason then get into direct contact with the supplier. They will be able to send someone out to write a report on it.
Still having problems with my Smart Stone bench top. The supplier has been to look and claims the stone is fine and the lighter parts that appear to me to look like stains in the stone are just from light reflecting off the Quartz. I want to know if this is normal and I have to live with it and accept that's just what Gris Roca looks like or if they may have given me a slab from a bad batch. I don't know enough about this topic. Give up or keep complaining?
Toomanywhites
Still having problems with my Smart Stone bench top. The supplier has been to look and claims the stone is fine and the lighter parts that appear to me to look like stains in the stone are just from light reflecting off the Quartz. I want to know if this is normal and I have to live with it and accept that's just what Gris Roca looks like or if they may have given me a slab from a bad batch. I don't know enough about this topic. Give up or keep complaining?

Call Smartstone directly and ask the questions. If you don't like the answers ask for a SmartStone rep to inspect your stone.
He says it's the light shining off the Quartz
Go look at same colour some where else, then u can compare and why cant they polish out finger marks like the stone rejuvenation company's would.
Toomanywhites
He says it's the light shining off the Quartz

You really need to go directly to Smartstone and cut the supplier out at this stage. If SmartStone says there is a problem with the stone then the supplier doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Seems like dark coloured manufactured stone is supposed to look a bit crappy. That's what everyone is telling me anyway. My only other avenue is qbcc
Toomanywhites
Seems like dark coloured manufactured stone is supposed to look a bit crappy. That's what everyone is telling me anyway. My only other avenue is qbcc

That's not right at all!!!!!!!!!!!

I fit dark coloured stone tops all the time without any issues??

You say you only other options is qbcc(not sure what that is) but I will ask again, have you called Smartstone directly and asked them to come out and do a report on it???
Smart stone guy came out and was prepared to give me a new slab but not installation. While he was here he did tell me that that is what the dark stone looks like, he says the colour is not supposed to be consistent and the faded spots are normal
Related
31/01/2024
Bench top chipped

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

These can be easily filled and repaired and it doesn't cost them much to do. Id get the builder to do this first and if the repair is not suitable then a replacement is…

14/09/2023
Bench top overhang on the side

Laundry

Thanks Ardo, they are sort of semi concealed. I think it is only a few millimetres. I see if they can adjust the hinges.

15/08/2023
Is this a bad situation - easement and manhole on property

General Discussion

You might be able to apply to divert the sewer at your expense. In NSW you would contact a Water services co-ordinator and they would give you advice as to whether or not…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum