Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Kitchen makeover vs new kitchen

Page 1 of 1
Interested in getting kitchen bench makeover with 6mm stone and cupboards changed. I received a price from bunnings for $15k to replace with new kitchen. Is it worth doing the makeover?
I wouldn't do either!
Hi Jew1974,
I will probably have the "kitchen makeover army" up in arms here, but my theory on makeovers is this. When most people think makeovers they are talking doors, panels, bench tops, handles, appliances and maybe a new splashback. When you take away all of these items you are left with white boxes (the cabinets). The cabinets are usually the least expensive part of the kitchen. There are sometimes unexpected problems that occur when doing a makeover. Things like cracking a tile when removing a top, or a floor tile if a panel runs to the floor, hinge boring patters lining up and new appliances fitting in in old cabinets to name a few.
I am sure there are many companies out there that do a great makeover job. But I suggest doing your maths, as sometimes a makeover can be just as expensive.
Its the old saying, you get what you pay for.
My intention is not to offend those who do makeovers - this is just my thoughts.

Hope it helps
I totally agree with above!
Kitchenpro
Hi Jew1974,
I will probably have the "kitchen makeover army" up in arms here, but my theory on makeovers is this. When most people think makeovers they are talking doors, panels, bench tops, handles, appliances and maybe a new splashback. When you take away all of these items you are left with white boxes (the cabinets). The cabinets are usually the least expensive part of the kitchen. There are sometimes unexpected problems that occur when doing a makeover. Things like cracking a tile when removing a top, or a floor tile if a panel runs to the floor, hinge boring patters lining up and new appliances fitting in in old cabinets to name a few.
I am sure there are many companies out there that do a great makeover job. But I suggest doing your maths, as sometimes a makeover can be just as expensive.
My intention is not to offend those who do makeovers - this is just my thoughts.

Hope it helps

^^^ That.
Kitchenpro
Hi Jew1974,

Hope it helps

That makes a lot of sense.

We are also going o be doing our old kitchen up in the next year or two. We're building a new home at the moment but the old place will need to be rented out and eventually sold. Before it's sold we are thinking of redoing the kitchen but depending on the price we may not bother as it may not add enough value to the property.

Generally speaking, for a "no unforeseen problems" makeover.. what is the price different one might see between a full kitchen reno/replace compared with a "facelift" (cabinet doors, bench, new sink)?
light487
[
Generally speaking, for a "no unforeseen problems" makeover.. what is the price different one might see between a full kitchen reno/replace compared with a "facelift" (cabinet doors, bench, new sink)?

It really depends on a few things,

Who will do the work, will you remove the old doors and bench top and will you fit the new ones
What type of bench top, laminate or stone?
What type of door, melamine, vacuum form, polyurethane or one of the many others??
Will you need a new splashback? Sometimes its impossible to remove the bench top without damaging the splashback

Depending on how you answer the questions you could be spending $3000 - $12,000
Yeah I know. So many variables.

It's an old kitchen so it probably needs a full renovation rather than a make-over
Related
9/08/2023
Kitchen Renovation: DIY vs Resurfacing vs New Kaboodle

General Discussion

Assuming the structure of your cabinetry is good then I would DIY everything as follows: - replace your counter tops entirely, - replace all drawer runners with soft close…

10/06/2023
Pathway to new build : WWYD

Home Finance

A person needs to be licensed to offer financial advice. Surely the accountant you use would have been chosen for his/her expertise in this field. Have you asked your…

21/06/2023
New Pergola

Outdoor Living

Is there a building permit? RU in Victoria? What is the value of the building contract?

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum