Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

How big is your corner walk in pantry??

Page 1 of 1
This whole kitchen designing thing is seriously doing my head in!!!

I want a nice good sized walk in corner pantry. What size is yours?? Would you make it bigger? smaller? Does it fit all pantry type stuff in it?
I have one that is 1.6 by 1.2 or there about.
I thought it was too small. Until we went through it and through half the stuff out. I have come to the realization that there is only so much food you can eat, and if you have to much stock then it just goes past the use by date!!!.
Our last build was 1.5m x 1.5m-which stored the microwave plus some appliances and food. This house has a somewhat bigger pantry.....3.5 x 2mish...stores the freezer, microwave and every kitchen appliance I own (apart from the Kitchen AId stand mixer & coffee machine which live on the benchtop)-LOVE my pantry!
1.6x1.6. The house is not finished yet, but I love the size of the pantry. We have lots of cupboards, 3 pot cupboards. The island has lots of cupboards underneath also and the kitchen sink is not in the island bench, it has it's own area.
Deemaree
Our last build was 1.5m x 1.5m-which stored the microwave plus some appliances and food. This house has a somewhat bigger pantry.....3.5 x 2mish...stores the freezer, microwave and every kitchen appliance I own (apart from the Kitchen AId stand mixer & coffee machine which live on the benchtop)-LOVE my pantry!

That's what I wanted, but it just won't fit in
So have had to fall back on a smaller walk in pantry and then a large appliance type cupboard as I am sick of having so many things out on the bench top.

I think the last kitchen person allowed around 1 x 1.2 which I am thinking will be too small, especially if I need to get a little step or something in to get stuff from the top shelves (I am rather short!!)
Minimum external carcass dimensions should be 1000mm x 1000mm - this will give you a doorway that is wide enough to comfortably enter the pantry.

If it doesn't have a base - i.e sits directly on the floor it shouldn't be a problem to keep a small folding step inside the pantry to make getting items from the higher shelves easier - there are quite a few discreet designs on the market.

Another tip is to make sure you get some sort of lighting in there that won't put the goods you are looking for in your shadow.
This can be activated by the door opening or a motion sensor.

Cheers,

Earl
Strumer thank you so much for the info. Now to find a kitchen display place so I can actually see what a 1 x 1.2 pantry looks like inside.

We won't be having a base so hopefully we should be right.

Will definately be looking at a light in the pantry now. So you can get ones that turn on when the door opens? Does the kitchen person have to install that?
We are having a square 2m x 2m pantry with a small sink in there. Will have 4 shelves and under bench cupboards. We plan to put some of our bench top appliances in there too. It will have a motion detector.

Depending on if you want to use your pantry as a meal preparation area or not, can determine weather or not you will need a large pantry. We saw some massive pantries in some display homes, probably best for large families that also contains the fridge.
Ours is approx 4mx1.8 ish (only working of rough figures) but its a walk through from the garage and is only for food as i dont think that the shelves will be wide enough for big pans etc but i might be able to get a few appliances on there.
I think that you are better to get a bigger pantry as you will always find stuff to fill it, I am intending to keep the kids school bags in there (we walk through from garage), my handbag and pile of mags, water bottle/stand, step ladder, broom, dust buster etc this way i am hoping that my kitchen will be clean and clear of clutter.
* jas *
Ours is approx 4mx1.8 ish (only working of rough figures) but its a walk through from the garage and is only for food as i dont think that the shelves will be wide enough for big pans etc but i might be able to get a few appliances on there.
I think that you are better to get a bigger pantry as you will always find stuff to fill it, I am intending to keep the kids school bags in there (we walk through from garage), my handbag and pile of mags, water bottle/stand, step ladder, broom, dust buster etc this way i am hoping that my kitchen will be clean and clear of clutter.

I think step is actually talking about a corner pantry that is built into the kitchen rather than a seperate room.

1000x1000mm is the smallest you would want. Remember the external size against the wall determines the size of the door on the front.

Dont make it to big as the shelves will start to bow. A mixture of fixed and adjustable shelves makes the pantry far stronger and more usiable.
Related
9/04/2024
Proposed walk in linen

Renovation + Home Improvement

Do you really want to accommodate the window? What is on the outside of the window? Do you want to be able to see your towels from outside? I would blank the window from…

21/03/2024
Heated vertical towel rail at the end of a walk-in shower

Bathrooms and Laundry

Electrical just got back to me and said the most they can provide is a single power point on the Bedroom 1 side of that wall. After handover, your towel rail installer…

12/01/2024
Butlers Pantry Workflow

Kitchen Corner

I visited a relatives house and he went with sink in kitchen and butlers, dishwasher in kitchen and butlers and has crockery spread out between the two areas depending on…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum