Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Good Coffee Machine

Page 2 of 3
Isomac Tea with a Granmacinino grinder.
Hmmm a good coffee machine
I suppose it comes down what type of machine your after, Manual or Automatic?
If your after a quick coffee fix and don't have the time or patience, then you should consider an automated machine. Some auto machines have built in grinders and frothers so it's almost effortless to produce a cup of coffee.
But if you’re serious about your coffee and want great tasting shots, then you should get a manual machine.

Once you find yourself a decent machine, the number one rule is to use fresh coffee beans. The ones you find at supermarkets are usually stale and have probably been sitting there for months. Coffee beans taste best within 2-3 weeks of roasting. Freshly roasted beans make a massive difference in taste and quality, they also produce much more crema.

Then you need to consider a decent burr grinder (conical) which also makes a huge difference. A burr grinder crushes your beans using grinding wheels, other grinders use blades which produce an uneven grind and can burn your beans.

There is much more involved such as temperatures, group handles, portafilter baskets, the tamper, the pressure and pour time and then there's the milk, the frother settings, the frother temperature etc.
All of this needs to be carefuly considered when using a manual machine so there's a some work involved but the final result is definately worth it. Once you master your machine, making coffee becomes fun, easy and very rewarding and you will be making yummy coffee that will taste so much better than those at cafes.

I have a sunbeam 6910 which is an excellent entry-level machine for under $800. Highly recommended.

For more info, check out http://coffeesnobs.com.au/
We have had several over the years. The current one is a Saeco and it is hands down the best we have had. It is used several times a day. You can now get them with the automated milk also. They are expensive but worth every penny if you are a regular coffee drinker. Also get one that grinds the beans fresh, it makes a big difference.
I have just bought a Sunbeam 6910 it retails for $799 and at the moment you get the matching grinder for free until christmas eve that retails for $220
I got both for $620 Bargain!

Its a manual one that has twin pump so you can froth milk at the same time your coffee is pouring.
I am a Barista so I like to do things the old fashioned way.
A good web site for all coffee info is coffeesnobs.
this link may be of interest

http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/revie ... am-silvia/

a very detailed comparison between the sunbeam 6910 and the rancilio silvia

cheers
Taffy x 2!! The 6910 rocks!!!
Taffy, whereabouts did you get such a good deal?! I'm after a coffee machine for my new place, perhaps a Christmas present to myself (if I can stretch the budget that far
)
We got a Delonghi fully auto machine and it is fantastic it gets a hammering and is very quick, I only buy beans direct from a roaster as they are always super fresh, they cost about twice as much as the supermarket but IMO they make or break a good/great coffee.
I agonised over whether to get a manual or auto machine and it was only because I went to my Brother in Law's place and they have a good manual machine and making a few coffee's was a real chore for them, the machine was also VERY noisy, we also wanted the machine to look great and not take over the new kitchen and not having a separate grinder is also a bonus for us.
The RRP on our machine was $2299 but ended up getting it for $1888 less a $200 by redemption, so it was pretty good value we think.

It's made about 1000 coffees so far and I think we got it in March!

barkly

cheers

have to say the review/comparison on these 2 machines was very well written. very clear even for the "average man/woman" in the street reader like me. I was hoping to talk Dh into a coffee machine in the next few weeks . WAs unfortunately having now become - maybe one day again as we had to buy a new washing machine yesterday instead. sigh. will be keeping an eye out for both these machines in future.
Taffy how are you finding the frothing thing for your milk? I notice that was one area where the review comparison thought the sunbeam was a bit of a let down.

ooo the sunbeam also comes in a sexy red colour!

katie81
Taffy, whereabouts did you get such a good deal?! I'm after a coffee machine for my new place, perhaps a Christmas present to myself (if I can stretch the budget that far
)

Hi katie

I got it from the joyce maynne shop in Albury but Harvey norman said they would match the price too.
I also think Myer has it on speciel for $649 either that or $699
I told people on coffeesnobs about this and harvey norman in the cities matched it for them
kexkez
barkly

cheers

have to say the review/comparison on these 2 machines was very well written. very clear even for the "average man/woman" in the street reader like me. I was hoping to talk Dh into a coffee machine in the next few weeks . WAs unfortunately having now become - maybe one day again as we had to buy a new washing machine yesterday instead. sigh. will be keeping an eye out for both these machines in future.
Taffy how are you finding the frothing thing for your milk? I notice that was one area where the review comparison thought the sunbeam was a bit of a let down.

ooo the sunbeam also comes in a sexy red colour!

Hi Kez

I find frothing the milk fine I havnt had much time to tweak the settings yet so at the moiment its making a good cup of coffee maybe pours a little fast but it is still so much better than instant

I find that if I hold the steamwand only just touching the surface of the milk to get a swirling action then slowly lover the jug to keep the suction sound happening I get to stretch the milk by about 50% which is good.
It is heaps better than my little $150 Breville

I also like that it has a proper size group handle the same as commercial ones, and as I have used these alot I like the fact that the coffee can be pouring the same time as I froth the milk.
Its a bit noisy though sounds like a jet is coming into land
Thanks taffy

Does anyone know of a coffee machine under $800 that has an in-built grinder? I don't mind having to froth the milk myself, but grinding the beans in a separate unit is a pain in the bum! My old work had one but for the life of me can't remember the model/brand! No idea how much they paid, either
The Breville BES860 has a built in conical burr grinder... RRP $799... bought one, but it was a display one and then didn't work
took it back and got the similar model without the built in and a seperate grinder for around the same price
Quote:
Does anyone know of a coffee machine under $800 that has an in-built grinder?

Yes! I have one and not only that I can tell you the difference of coffee making quality compared to the Rancilio and the Sunbeam 6910 (as a close friend owns the former and hubby has the 6910 in his office). Machine in question Lelit/Nemox (sometimes also known as Quaha)

Nemox
http://www.thebeanery.com.au/napoletana3.html

Lelit
http://www.coffeeco.com.au/napoletana.html

It's the same machine. I bought mine from Coffeco and I can assure you that the service is excellent. Once my dopey hubby left the thing on overnight so the thermostat switched on or off or whatever it does. Anyhow, I emailed in a panic at 7 am desperately trying to make to with tea, and magically 30 min later an email with PDF attached showing how to push the button to re-set the thermostat.
If the man hadn't been in Melbourne I would have kissed him.

Machine comparison of Rancilio and Lelit (he sells both so not bias)
http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/comparison.html

So which one do I pick? Well, for the budget conscious or space conscious buyer you can't go past the Lelit. It's brilliant. We've had ours nearly 3 years and it's ticking along nicely. It froths better than the Sunbeam BTW but doesn't have the dual thermoblocks. Which doesn't really matter because it froths quicker in my experience. Now Rancilio. Is it magic. Sure it is. But Is it $500 (or whatever they go for these days) more magic? I don't know. I drink coffee with milk in it (flat whites) and I can't honestly tell the difference between it and the Lelit). What would I buy if I had my time again? The Lelit again but then I'll have to splash a $2000 machine because I've got the coffee bug. Sad but true.

Sunbeam 6910? Yes it's good. Sunbeam offers great service as well (just not quite as personalised). It's up there but misses the mark a little. Not much. The red does look good.

Off to read the info on this excellent site as I'm actually here to do research for our impending reno/extension. But being a coffee nerd I couldn't resist this thread. See you around!
Further to the above here is another link worth looking at.

Starting to get up the sharp end now in determining what's good and what's not.

Inside Domestic Espresso Machines

http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/july2002.html

cheers
Thanks Miggster, I'll have to go away and process the extra information!
I guess mainly what I am after is a machine that has an inbuilt grinder, where you just put the beans in up the top, stick your cup underneath, and press a button (don't care about the milk, I rarely froth mine anyway). Currently I have to grind the beans in a separate unit, then fill up one of those holder thingies (yep, I'm so technical when it comes to coffee!!), and then stick it in the machine. PITA, especially cleaning it afterwards
I am after something easy, that's it. Coffee is coffee to me, unless it's instant, blurgh!!

Another thought I had, was buying a fully automatic machine off ebay as a refurbished/factory second model. That way I get a fully automatic at a more realistic price - there is no way I could justify spending $1500 odd on a coffee machine at this point in time

Does anyone think refurbished is a good option, or to steer clear??
We have had a little Delongi Nespresso for a few years, it's fantastic!! They are about $380 RRP I think. The website lets you order the pods. I recommend buying all different types of pods because it's loads of fun trying them all!
take2
If the beans are good & fresh we alway get a good crema on the coffee, I drink a long black so I like to have good beans.

Harvey Norman quiet often have the machines on demo, so you can try them out.

Cheers Lou

I'm pretty sure The Good Guys do esspresso machine demos too. Demos will let you decide whether you prefer the taste of a machine that uses pure espresso or something that uses pods like the Nespresso.

The Good Guys, Retravision and Betta Electrical do two years interest free finance too so you wouldn't have to worry about it costing a mortgage.

GE does their finance and they're actually running a promo right now ( I know because I work there) where if you purchase on interest free for $960 or more before the end of November you go into the draw for a chance to win a million dollars. So maybe now is a good time to check out those demos!
Hands down the Miele...you pay for it, but its incredible.
Bought a Breville BES860 a few weeks ago. Have to say I am impressed.

One simple benefit is the space it occupies on the bench, and there is only one power cord as there is a grinder built in to the device - so no dual power cords as in one for the coffee machine and one for the grinder.

Another benefit is that it does actually make a very good cup of coffee. Just need to let it all get up to a good heat and it does a great job, and that comment is from someone who has never used such a machine before. And as I gain more experience I expect to make yet better coffee.

Must add I have no connection what ever with the Breville organization.

cheers
Related
2/04/2024
Extending Washing Machine Hose

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hey all Currently renovating our laundry, bought a new washing machine but have found that the drainage hose is alot shorter than the old machine (which I used to get the…

15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum