Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Ideas on how to disguise the laundry area

Page 1 of 1
Hi. We have a really big laundry, but we have nowhere else to actually move the laundry at the moment. We are going to extend in a year or so, but for the meantime, the laundry will be staying in what is to become our dining room.

Does anyone have any thoughts, pictures or ideas on how we can hide the things in a stylish, non-laundry way but still have them be accessible and functional?

We were thinking about just making a big... cupboard? But wasn't sure how this would look or work out.

Thanks for your thoughts.
K.

I've definitely seen big built in cupboards that house your washer/dryer and sink. Very often they are like that in units and some smaller terrace houses. A kitchen company or cabinetry company should be able to help you.
My parents have their laundry behind folding doors that close off a 3m long area. I'm guessing you would only go down this path if it was a permanent solution though...
Im a bit confused, do you want to hide whats in there to use it as a dining room now?

Or will it become the dining room when you extend?

I think just shut the door, if you plan to move it later.
Perhaps turn it into a mud room and use the space to your advantage.

Make it the home for bags, shoes, coats, sporting stuff. Add some colour and a bench and just some ikea storage.
Question, why do you want to hide it, it has a door?
Just rename it as Metricon, and it will only show up as a series of stars...

(Sorry, have been reading the censorship thread!)
roflmao

Hi, I think some floor to ceiling doors would hide it all away. You could use a plain colour to make it really unobtrusive, or maybe use a decorative laminate to make a "feature wall". If its only temporary maybe use a flat pack kit so it doesn't cost too much!

Just my two cents though! Good Luck

hhhmmm edited to add, maybe not floor to ceiling as you might not want to loose the light from the windows?
We just want to 'hide' the washing machine and tub because the wall where the doorway is etc is all about to be removed.

I don't really want people to walk into my lounge/dining and see a washing machine parked in there.

If it looks decent enough, it may remain permanent. So hopefully we can come up wtih something decent.

I'll keep hunting for photos...
We're looking at putting our behind a cupboard so that we can knock the kitchen through to the laundry to give us some more space.

Heres what our friend has done with hers:

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p388/rachfont/042.jpg

You cant see much I know but basically she has storage on one side and the dryer above the washer on the other side. Looks great. Hers is actually in her bathroom though - she knocked through from her bathroom to her laundry to give her a larger bathroom. She actually has a tub in there too but says it was a waste of time putting it in there because she doesnt use it...plus because she has the sliding doors, they cross over right in front of the tub so its difficult to access. When we do it we'll just lose the tub.
Obviously under construction but suitably vented the dryer could go over the washing machine.....

Thanks for posting this pic - good to see it with the bifold doors!

Looks great!
tdl - a friend of mine has hers set up like this. Hers is in the kitchen though. She has a chest freezer to the left of the machine, and the dryer is on the wall. Works really well for her. Unless you know their house, you don't know it's there.

Judie
Related
12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

7/07/2023
blocked drain in laundry

General Discussion

Agreed. I just found out today the certifier has not given the final sign off.

24/07/2023
Bathroom/Laundry Combo

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hey all, Hoping for some inspiration for my bathroom laundry combo. The tiles are in good condition, as is the bathtub. I’ve given it a coat of white paint and added…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum