Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Scaffolding extending over my property

Page 1 of 1

Hi All,
There is a new house being built next door and they have just installed scaffolding that will be up for the next 2mths while they complete the roof and 2nd story fittings. The scaffolding extends over the property boundary and as you can see in the picture overhangs at the 2nd story level. I was just wondering if this is legal and compliant? The area the scaffolding overhangs is a walking through fare on my property and I have 4 small children always playing here and I'm concerned that someone using the scaffolding may drop something at some point and potentially injure one of my children.
Where do I stand with this? Am I able to request the builder to re-do the scaffolding within their property boundary m, even if this is difficult for them to achieve? We don't have a great relationship with the neighbours builder and I already know he would be quite ignorant with this, so just looking for advice on this and who best to now take this issue to if it isn't squeaky clean & legal?
Thanks
Ask for some kickplate to be added and also for tradies to be requested to use lanyards on tools on that side of the building.
Be respectful and have the discussion explaining that it is intended to reduce the risk your family being hit and on him from a legal liability point of view.

use the point that rebuilding without the overlap isn't off the cards in requests, but the other two options are able to reduce risk to an acceptable level.

Given the height and proximity, even if it is rebuild, there is a trajectory of items falling off the sides or being dropped that could still injure someone below and IMHO and experience, tool lanyards and kickplates would do more in preventing accidents of dropped materials than any other measure in this instance.
Related
8/11/2023
Extending already approved patio

Renovation + Home Improvement

If your patio is going to be 35 sqm then that's going to need Council Approval. The fact that they previously approved your 25sqm patio will be irelevant

9/03/2024
Extending Brick Warehouse Up

General Discussion

There is insufficient information to give a meaningful answer. You should talk to council planning. Apart from building construction issues, if you are adding floor area…

2/04/2024
Extending Washing Machine Hose

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hey all Currently renovating our laundry, bought a new washing machine but have found that the drainage hose is alot shorter than the old machine (which I used to get the…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum