Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Exterior lighting help

Page 1 of 1
I'm a bit lost at the moment trying to work out the best lights for outside the home!

We would like some up-down lights on our portico pillars but not sure whether the more expensive options such as marine grade or LED are worth it? Surely all external lights are rated for outdoor use, though is a higher rating a good idea for portico lights as they are not under eaves?

For external lights under eaves, do people recommend getting something with a sensor like this for improved home security?

Our 37sq Custom Hamptons Inspired Home:
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=86931
Dani_J
I'm a bit lost at the moment trying to work out the best lights for outside the home!

We would like some up-down lights on our portico pillars but not sure whether the more expensive options such as marine grade or LED are worth it? Surely all external lights are rated for outdoor use, though is a higher rating a good idea for portico lights as they are not under eaves?

For external lights under eaves, do people recommend getting something with a sensor like this for improved home security?

Firstly, I would say that LED is probably always warranted over other types (incandescent, halogen, fluorescent, etc) on the basis of efficiency, longevity and (in the case of fluorescent) "pleasantness" of the light.

Apart from that, I guess your choice very much depends on what you are trying to achieve. As you probably know, in lighting design there are three basic types of light effects: task, ambient and accent. The up-down light you show is most likely ambient or accent, while the sensor light is definitely task lighting. Not that you were suggesting it, but the latter really shouldn’t substitute for the former.

In terms of rating, as long as the IP Code of the light fitting is sufficient for the setting, then it should be fine. Higher might last longer, but it may not either. After that, it comes down to the effectiveness of the luminaire (lumen rating and spread), the look you want and what you can afford.

Personally, I would not want that cheap looking sensor light attached to my house, but everyone has different tastes.
Thanks for the detailed response arcdelt. The up down lights as you pointed out are definitely more for accent lighting.

The sensor lights are for the side and back of home. Yes that pic is a cheap looking light lol as it was just one of the first that came up in google images. Stainless steel is definitely my preferences but there seems to be limited offerings in the way of sensor lights

You can have a sensor that is in the circuit but seperate from the lights. That way, you can not only choose the lights you want, but position the sensor in a place that might be better than adjacent to the light. They even make sensors that are mechs that fit into light switch plates.
Related
8/12/2023
Electrical - Sub distribution box/lighting automation

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

1. optional, you can but normally just use the earth from the main switch board 2. should be enough but the distance determines voltage drop - sparky should work it…

15/01/2024
Hall Way Lighting Suggestion

Lighting + Lighting Design

I have a really long hallway which is 1100mm W x 11500mm L I would appreciate if anyone can give suggestions to light it up with Linear LED lights that goes from wall to…

9/02/2024
Long hallway lighting suggestions

Building A New House

What? It's a lighting question, the control joint is only needed at 12m centres, a bulkhead or change of direction will suffice as a 'break' in the ceiling, just make…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum