Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Warm or Cool LED lights ?

Page 1 of 1
Open plan modern house - I was told to get 4000 kalvin - Will this look too bright?

I'm scared to get warm white because i think it will throw yellow on my white walls
4000 kelvin is a natural sunlight type light colour and should be fine.

There is some more advice ar http://anewhouse.com.au/2015/01/light-colour/

The light 'colour' isn't related to brightness as that depend on the level of lumens.

The article at this link talks about appropriate levels of 'brightness' http://anewhouse.com.au/2014/10/lighting-levels/
thank you!
We have 4000K throughout and think they look great, I find the 3000K lights too yellow and 5000/6000K too blue. There are differences in light from one brand of downlight to the next though. We used brightgreen D900 lights downstairs and a cheaper light upstairs. The brightgreens have a hint of yellow which adds a nice degree of warmth. The other lights are on the bluer side of the spectrum and can feel just that bit cool. I've been tempted to change all the lights to brightgreens but the lighting has been installed to suit a wide-angle beam and I think the narrower beam on the brightgreens may not work. Not to mention the cost!
Preference is somewhat subjective but is backed up by science.

I generally use 3000k for non-work related areas (residential, lounges, pubs, bars, cafes, foyers, external lighting) and use 4000k for work spaces (offices, workshops, schools, hospitals, warehouses etc.)

4000k is closest to sunlight, so you would tend to use 4000k (or higher) lighting in areas that are lit during the day, hence why I use them in work spaces and the like.

3000k is closest to halogen and incandescent lighting, which in turn is closest to the light emitted from fire and sunsets, which is the type of night-time illumination that our eyes and bodies evolved with. Hence we tend to feel most comfortable at night with 2700k or 3000k lighting.

There have been studies done recently regarding the impact of blue light affecting sleep patterns. This has mainly been focused on blue light from tablets and smart phones before bed time, but also applies to lighting.
I agree with bashworth. I find the higher k lights give a surgical/sterile type feel. You need a bit of warmth for a home IMO. We've purchased too higher a rating for our kids playroom - and it has completely changed the feel of the room. They are 5000k form memory... We'll go back to 4000k when I can justify it...
Hi There,

Picking your kelvins can be a personal opinion! I have always favoured more so towards WArm White 2700K - 3000K for interiors as it adds warmth and a family feel to your home. However many modern homes that have been built of late include Cool White 4000K
lights as they create a more contemporary feel to the room, this can be perceived as stark and clinical however the advantage of doing this is to make everything feel brighter and reflect light, making your whites look whiter.

It can also come down to the interior colours being used, whites will look slightly creamier using Warm white lights, however a higher lumen output and also counter this. You could try something like the Axion downlight which has a 700 lumen output in Warm White https://www.golights.com.au/axion-led-f ... -downlight which I have in my own home I don't find it too yellow-ish infact I find it bounces light in all my interior areas.

Let us know how you go and if you need anymore help
You can always check out our blog which is full of handy information https://www.golights.com.au/blog/pickin ... mperature/

Don't forget to share what you end up deciding on!
Ebay,. or a website called AliExpress.com or lightinthebox.com
cheap as chips!
Related
6/07/2023
Holman deck lights

Lighting + Lighting Design

So I'm just reading up on this ecosystem of lights. I'm planning on putting deck lights along the outside edge of a large deck. Will need about 3 packs (18 lights) plus…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum