Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Downilight covers in roof

Page 1 of 1
Can anyone tell me if the issue of covers placed over the downlights in the roof is mandatory yet???? this being a safety issue for the downlights catching fire. The covers are supposed to protect the insulations etc freom the heat emitted from the lights. We have around 88 of this lights so we want to check this.

I remember several months ago seeing this on the news. But after several attempts to clarify this point with PD I have decided to open the question up to this forum. See if we can get a better answer. Than um aarh don't know will have to look into it and get back to you...... still waiting after asking I don't know how many times.

There has been some discussion of this

https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=5177

I think 1st July 2008 is mentioned as the date it came into effect.

Goodluck
If your insulation is of the blow in paper type i would strogly recommend using covers, no matter how fire retardant the manufacturers claim their product to be tests have shown that over time it will catch on fire.
Fibreglass batts on the other hand would be a much safer alternative as the batts are cut around the down light allowing about 50mm of space around the light fitting, also these batts dont get blown around inside the roof cavity. hope this helps.
If your insulation is of the blow in paper type i would strogly recommend using covers, no matter how fire retardant the manufacturers claim their product to be tests have shown that over time it will catch on fire.
Fibreglass batts on the other hand would be a much safer alternative as the batts are cut around the down light allowing about 50mm of space around the light fitting, also these batts dont get blown around inside the roof cavity. hope this helps.
Related
10/05/2023
Converting a Gable Roof

Renovation + Home Improvement

You could frame it out and put a skillion roof on it.

20/05/2023
Frame without roof for 2 months, mould and water pooling

Building A New House

This certainly doesn't look good. I would be engaging with an independent inspector to have a look at this. As for the unscheduled site visits, most builders are quite…

30/05/2023
share traditional gable roof facade with pillars having ston

Building A New House

traditional gable roof facade - Have you did the dark and light gray color combination in facade with gray stone in facade…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum