Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

HELP with LED downlight layout & power points!

Page 1 of 1
***Better updated images further down the page.

I want to finalise my electrical plan to present to my builder.

Below is what I drafted on paint.

Are there any changes I should make?

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b439/Aloenyx/ElectricalPlan1stdraft.jpg

**Bedroom 3 will be my study

My builder has suggested LED down lights for the hallway, living, dining and kitchen areas.

If I do go ahead with down lights, how many and how should I lay them out?

Also, for the super knowledgeable, should I be making any demands about the type of down lights the builder supplies or will whatever they supply be alright?
Nobody? I admit it is a terrible picture XD
If you like down lights then go for it. No idea on how they should be placed. We just went with whatever Clipsal suggested for ours.

Some suggestions for the rest:
* put some power points inside the bathroom vanities so that you can charge cordless things without having the cords all over the vanity top.
* have a sensor light on the front left corner of the garage and maybe out the back looking onto wherever the clothesline is going to be.
* have 1 or more external power points around the house, makes it easier to do any work with power tools that aren't cordless.
http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b439/Aloenyx/electricalplanwled.png

Updated lighting plan with LED downlights.

Do you think I have enough and are they spaced okay?

I am thinking I would need two way light switches in the living area (from back door and hallway) and both ends of the hallway and perhaps the garage.
Looks good to me. Good idea about the 2-way switches. We did then at the top/bottom of the stairs.

I suggest replacing you double power points in all bedrooms and the family room with quads instead. They are not much dearer but will be very useful to avoid power boards that are fire hazards.
That's a good suggestion, I think at least for the living room its not a bad idea. Currently my bedroom (old 1960s house) has a single power point, which runs three power boards plugged into each other.. scary!

Do you think 6 LED downlights in the living/dining area is enough? I thought either 6 or 8 would be okay.

Also do you think I need an extra one in the hallway or will 2 be enough?
I think you have sufficient lighting as is but I am yet to have a house with LED downlights so I am not a good judge.
Same problem. Never lived in a house with down lights before. My current house has a single bare bulb in the center of each room. Most of the house is too dark, some is too bright.. and all of it is too orange!

Hate this house between the orange floor boards, brown/orange carpet, green/orange wall paper, and yellowing ceiling.. the whole house seems yellow/orange!! Can't wait for my clean white and neutrals house.
http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b439/Aloenyx/electricalplanwithswitches.png

Updated plan with all the switches. I'm pretty happy with this plan, I added some extra LED to lounge and hallway, figure if the builder will cover the cost I might as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I need to do a power point plan now.
Also power point plan.

Any suggestions?

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b439/Aloenyx/powerpoints.png
I went to Beacon Lighting and got some info on down lights.

Much happier with the decision to have some LED down lights in the living area now.
Are you likely to have a workbench in the garage? Get a light put over the top of that too. I also prefer a big flouro to batten light in the garage, you get a better light spread but I spend a bit of time fixing/building etc in the garage.

Don't forget an outdoor PP out the back.
Related
17/01/2024
Data Points

Building A New House

If you're referring to Eufy homebase, then just put a switch between a datapoint and put the homebase elsewhere near another device in your home unless you want teh…

24/03/2024
Kitchen Layout Help

Kitchen Corner

You never have a fridge against wall as you’ve drawn. The doors can’t open past 90 degrees and it’s difficult and maybe impossible to remove drawers

19/03/2024
Help! Relocate neighbouring power line

Building A New House

Our relationship with the owner is good, but I'm not sure if I want to impose putting a pole on their property. Your conversation with your neighbour must have gone well…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum