Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Warm light usage

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

we are in the final stages of our house and i made some purchases of lights, that i am felling that i might regret, so i need some help please!

we installed led recessed fluorescent lights in bathroom (cold white) and in walk in closet (cold white)
Then some led lights in bedrooms (warm white) and in hall way.

However we decided to place 2 more lights abot the mirror for our bathroom, and thus i purchased 2 recessed lights but in warm white. would you think mixture of the 2 cold white fluorescent lights with the 2 led warm white would be ugly? i thought that the 2 florescent would give a nice lighting everywhere in teh bathroom and the 2 lights right above the sink would be give a better color for make-up and shaving.

Also the second issue is that we have an open space that is a kitchen area, living room and kitchen table.
For this reason i bought 3 led recessed lights for the kitchen bench in order to nicely match with the living room. however i am skeptical as everywhere i read they say that for kitchen is better to have cold white color. Should i cancel the installation of warm white and install 100% cold white?
Personally I hate the clinical cold white lighting.

I'd have warm lights everywhere, feels much more natural and makes a place feel more homely.

Its easy enough to changes globes. I'd leave it and see what you prefer for a while

Great thanks...
The problem is that we are thinking of installing those thin, led, recessed lights of about 50w and 2800 lumens. Thus not so easy to change the color...

In my old house we had a central circular fluouro in the kitchen with 3 halogen downlights above the kitchen bench. I never noticed they were different temperatures until thinking about lights for our new house! Similarly in the bathroom there was a warm overhead light and fluoro above the mirror. I really don't think it matters.

So I don't think mixing tones matters very much. The only thing I'll say is apparently cool whites are better for above mirrors though - it's less flattering and helps with makeup/shaving/plucking so you can see details better!!
The colour of light is very much a personal preference. For me, I am a warm light person. Apparently 2700 Kelvin is the temperature for warm lights.

My mother has fluoros throughout her place and loves them. Growing up with these, I think that's what turned me into a warm light person. You will notice the difference between the two. It will stick out like the proverbial. I would suggest you go one way or the other. If it was me I would go warm, but then that's just me.

Cheers, Jenny.
jenathome
The colour of light is very much a personal preference. For me, I am a warm light person. Apparently 2700 Kelvin is the temperature for warm lights.

My mother has fluoros throughout her place and loves them. Growing up with these, I think that's what turned me into a warm light person. You will notice the difference between the two. It will stick out like the proverbial. I would suggest you go one way or the other. If it was me I would go warm, but then that's just me.

Cheers, Jenny.

I agree in that its personal preference, and combining the 2 (especially in an open plan)

I would stick to one colour, and you don't necessarily need to go for cool white. You can also go for a natural white (between warm and cool)

I hope this helps
Great thanks! My wife is afraid of experimenting, since we all grew in houses with white long fluorescent lights... i think the daylight would be our best option!

Yea good choice,

Post some photos of the end result if you get a chance, would love to see it!
yeap will do. I think in about a month everything will be ready to get in the house...
That's great.

Good luck with it all!
Finally we got in a couple of days ago!

LOOKS AWESOME!

You can't go wrong with the cool white/Daylight colour

Very nice
Nice lighting. Well done!
Related
30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

5/12/2023
Rainwater Tanks not filling in light rain

General Discussion

That was always going to be a challenge and a test of patience. Full marks to your mate. Did you discuss the wet area near the trampoline?

6/12/2023
Skylight facing west, sufficient light in mornings?

General Discussion

It might be a bit darker in the mornings but the light is still light, so you should be getting it. Similar to what you see from your western windows

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum