Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

LED down light decisions

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

Hoping for some constructive advice on the many choices on LED down lights

Currently wanting to put 40 down lights downstairs of our double storey house that about to be built as this is all the living areas, kitchen and alfresco areas (upstairs is bedrooms and bathrooms and happy to do later) all lights will be on dimmers.

So I meet with Stephen at wattsaver and happy with the product. http://wattsaver.com.au/dl7-1400/

Looking at either the DL7 with a 60 degree beam angle or might good the DL9 with the 90 degree beam angle and liking the sunrise 3000-3200k colour temp. For the small cost will most likely upgrade to be better driver.

Looking for feedback or real world reviews from people that have used these or other brands to help finalise the decision.

Also really want to hear advice on beam angles that people have used

Happy for people to PM me if easier

Thanks

Martin
Having got the Dl7's andDL9's as well, you must be lighting the MCG or want a suntan with that many lights.

We are lighting an area of about 62 sq metres with 4 DL9's and 2 DL7's. We have them dimmed nearly all the time as they are so bright.
They have an amazing output. Before you purchase that many I would order a small number from them to work out how many you need.

Page 1 of this thread will show part of the area with the lights on. These are DL9's. This is about 40 sq metres.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58265
We bought the dl9-1200s in natural white with the diffused glass.

We did quite well in guessing what we needed for each room, getting samples helped with this!

Bedrooms 3m x 4m: used 3
Living/dining 5m x 10.5m: used 10, roughly 1.5m from the walls and 2m apart. So 2 strips
Master bed 4.3m x 4.3m: used 4
Bathroom: 2m x 4m: used 3 (wanted it bright
)
Theater 4m x 5m: used 4

I would certainly recommend them but only downside is that you can't just go and change a light bulb. ..gotta change the whole unit
Oh and definitely check the colours in your new house. The sunrise sample was perfect in my mums house...not very nice in our new house!
The Wattsaver is a great light, and agree it may be very bright depending on how many you install.

As discussed, I'd probably get a few to try in your rooms, and go from there. sometimes 2x you will find will be enough, so always good to check.
Hi all thank you very much for the advice, one less thing to decide on if only we could decide on the exterior colour scheme......
xxkatxx
We bought the dl9-1200s in natural white with the diffused glass.

We did quite well in guessing what we needed for each room, getting samples helped with this!

Bedrooms 3m x 4m: used 3
Living/dining 5m x 10.5m: used 10, roughly 1.5m from the walls and 2m apart. So 2 strips
Master bed 4.3m x 4.3m: used 4
Bathroom: 2m x 4m: used 3 (wanted it bright
)
Theater 4m x 5m: used 4

I would certainly recommend them but only downside is that you can't just go and change a light bulb. ..gotta change the whole unit

This is great info and helps everyone decide on the coverage that is attainable by these lights.

Anyone else have significantly different setups?
This is great info and helps everyone decide on the coverage that is attainable by these lights.

Anyone else have significantly different setups?

Yes this is good advice, but remeber, everybody has different tastes and expectations of light in a room. Some people may prefer it to be brighter, and add a dimmer to reduce when needed, others may hate the brightness, and opt for less light.

It all comes down to personal choice. The best thing thing to do would be to sample the room with a few lights before cutting any holes, and gauge it from there. You may find that 4 has a better coverage for you as opposed to 3.

Hope this helps
Thought I might add that in our alfresco (15m x 4m) we used 10 lights so same number as living/dining which is smaller. The spacing in alfresco is 3m long ways and 2m between the 2 rows. We need dimmers out there at night!
Hi xxkatxx and delatite13
If is used the DL9 1200's in say a lounge room that's 3.5x4.0m would you recommend 4 lights or will 2 lifts be enought?
Either set up will be on dimmers I just need to decide before the electrical plan is finalised.
The DL91200 was not available when we got ours.(I wish it had been) Suffice to say we have a room 4.3 x 4.5 with one light with a standard dimmer. 2 would have been preferable - if your reading etc- but for tv etc quite simply too bright. The 1200 being slightly less I would use 2 with the wattsaver dimmer. They say it will dim down to 10% so really cannot go wrong. Standard dimmers just do not go down far enough.
This is where personal preferences come in
our bedrooms are 3x4 and have 3 and I wouldn't want to go less. I'd be happy to go up to 4 especially with dimmers installed.

We didn't decide how many lights in each room until the house was almost finished and then got some samples to try out. We just put a junction box in each room which can take up to 6 lights I think? Is it an option to try samples out?
Wow xxkatxx you have 3 DL9's in a 3 x 4 room. That must be incredibly bright with all on full. Out of curiosity any idea how often you have them all turned up full.
We haven't got any dimmers installed yet, probably only going to put in theater and alfresco but haven't got around to it just yet.

They aren't overly bright? The only reason we went with 3 was because we were worried about dark spots in the room. We get a nice even light in all of our rooms but this could also be due to the diffused glass. I think they are spaced about 900mm off the walls and then in an even triangle over the important areas in each room.
I agree guys, its all about personal preference at this point.

Some peoples tastes are the total opposite to anothers who thinks 4x in a 4x4 meter room is good.

My advice is, buy about 4x, and hold them up to the ceiling and see what you think. I now its primitive, but works, and could potentially save you a lot of money.

Always remember a dimmer can be installed if you find its too bright
Watts aver will send out as many free samples as you want, just need to pay for return postage. Well worth the effort but allow a fair bit of time as they take for ever to post them
Thanks all been super helpful
No problem at all. Let us know how you go. It would be good to know how many lights you install in your rooms.

Cheers
Related
22/05/2023
Rollershutters – Down or Up on Holidays?

Safer Living

How long is a "long period"? For a few weeks, it should be ok. It also depends on the area you live in...I would let your neighbours know that you will be away too and…

20/05/2023
Drainage down the side of house

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi HomeOne, I'm in the midst of landscaping a cat run down the side of my house, and the recent rains have me wondering if I need to install some sort of drainage. I've…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum