Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

LED Downlights and Dimmers

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

We are building an extension to our house and are planning on getting LED downlights in the bedrooms. We are considering either the Brightgreen D900s or the Wattsaver equivalents. We are thinking of having four downlights in the room but I was worried that they might be too bright so I am wondering whether dimmers are an option. I don't understand how dimmers work, do they make the LEDs use more power or less power? Can we just use one dimmer that is wired into all four downlights? How much do dimmers usually add to the cost of the installation?

Sorry for the noob questions.
I am no expert but I have just purchased 30 or so LED down lights for our home. You can put a number one to one dimmer.

We have 2 lots of 5 and 1 lot of six set up with 1 dimmer for each. Our elec suggested Clipsal universal dimmers and has charged up $95 each to supply and install.

They use less power when dimmed.

The Elec also suggested to go with a more expensive Clipsal universal as some dimmers can result in flicker at low light levels and he said that the Clipsals allow you to go down to virtually zero light with no flicker.

Haven't had them installed yet and am eagerly awaiting the test run.
woodyren
I am no expert but I have just purchased 30 or so LED down lights for our home. You can put a number one to one dimmer.

Thanks for the reply woodyren
woodyren
\
The Elec also suggested to go with a more expensive Clipsal universal as some dimmers can result in flicker at low light levels and he said that the Clipsals allow you to go down to virtually zero light with no flicker.

Haven't had them installed yet and am eagerly awaiting the test run.

Hate to dissapoint but Clipsal dimmers wont dim down much past 50% when used with Brightgreens (Brightgreen Tech support acknowledge this also after I rang to complain to them) Brightgreen recommend you use Luxman dimmers if you want full dimming.

So went and sourced some Luxman's and as of today I installed them and I can now dim from 0 - 100% so having to throw my new Clipsal Universal dimmers out. (As stated not cheap it's an expensive lesson @ about $50 each) I just Wish Brightgreen had of stated this honestly in their documentation before I purchased 30 odd lights and 10 odd Clipsal Saturn Dimmers and switches
Maybe you could of negotiated some more electrical work for the return of those dimmers, the clipsal dimmers are usually a stock item for most electricians I know.

**second post of the day for ledsh0pper..... how hard is it to front up some money and buy an advertising membership.
I am currently building a house and and am doing my own electrical (im a sparky) and looking at purchasing the D1000's along with clipsal saturn series dimmers - the 60 Series Saturn Mechanism 4061E2PUDM which has an integrated switch. What I am asking is if these dimmers wont work properly with the clipsal dimmer and I install the luxman T400P dimmer:

- 1. will the luxman T400P dimmer fix into the clipsal saturn series wall plate along with the saturn series slimline knob?... and

- 2. does the luxman T400P dimmer have an integrated switch, or will i need to add another saturn series switch mech to my list of to get items and get for example a four gang wall plate instead of a three gang wall plate for this extra switch if the luxman does not have this?

I am at the point where I will be looking at purchasing these fit-off items very shortly and it would be great to know what equipment will work with these lights, cheers.
Georgeo, you should be able to use the new clipsal push button (31E2PUDM) with much lower dimming available.
Thanks think_wise, but I think the 31E2PUDM is for the clipsal 30 series and i believe I'll need the 4061E2PUDM for the saturn series is that right?

http://updates.clipsal.com/ClipsalOnline/Files/Brochures/W0001425.pdf
Related
11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

7/05/2023
Builder not giving letter of commencement and practical comp

Building A New House

The HIA contract, in the term & conditions section states that "Commencment" is deemed when the drainage is started or the piers are dug or the slab is formed up (incase…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum