Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Some interesting lighting options

Page 1 of 1
I was doing a quick run through Domayne today (I think they are owned by Harvey Norman) and I saw some nifty modern looking chandeliers ... this is the website of the people Domayne order through....

http://www.powerlightinternational.com.au/index.htm

I'm thinking of this one - its $499 for the entry way (we are going with a green feature niche wall in the entry...

and maybe something like this over the dining table..... (not sure of the price for this one yet)

Fiona
Sorry Fiona, i must have missed this thread...
Nice lights, like the one for the dining table!

Will be sure to check out that website soon.....
Very pretty! Love all that sparkle and gleam!
I’m such a girl sometimes…….

The second one…I think my supplier has them.
They're gorgeous!
This site has got all kinds of lights for all kinds of styles:

http://www.ecclightingandliving.com/sho ... ductranges
yummy.............but who's goin' to clean them ?
Just something to be wary of with the light you intend to use for the dining room. I come across that style/design of light fitting regularly during my work.

If the globes are 240v, then the metallic part of the light fitting supporting the globes is required to be earthed (unless the light fitting is labelled as being "Class 2" or "double insulated". I have yet to come across any of these types of fancy/imported light fittings that comply with Australian Standards.

Usually the transparent-insulated wires going from the top part of the light fitting (that attaches to the ceiling) to the bottom part (that attaches to the globes) do not connect to the frame or earth terminal of the ceiling-mounted part of the light fitting, thus do not make an earth available for the bottom section.

Australian Standards require that all exposed metallic parts of electrical equipment be earthed, unless they are a "class 2" or "double insulated" equipment, or supplied at extra-low voltage (usually 12v).

So, if the globes are 12v then it isn't required to be earthed, but I'd put money on it that they are 240v globes.

If you're not sure, then you may need to contact the supplier and/or manufacturer. There's a chance you and your electrician may get a defect when inspected by your local supply authority, and they should ask for evidence of the type of equipment they are, or if the inspector is able to determine they are Class 1 (not double insulated) and require to be earthed, and they are not, then you will need to change the fittings to something that complies with the standards.

Mind you, there's probably thousands of these light fittings (and similar) all over Australia, that have been installed and not checked, because alot of electricians don't care/bother to check (of course they wouldn't want to upset the customer by telling them their new fancy lights they just bought aren't approved), and don't bother to notify the supply authorities of the work they have done.

Unfortunately I don't think there are any checks by Australian Customs to see if all these imported light fittings comply with our requirements.

The reason the bottom section needs to be earthed is that there is the possibility that the lower metallic section could become alive if the wires get too hot and melt where they are touching the metal, or there are sharp edges inside the fitting where the wires pass through. If you go to change the globe while the switch is on, or even if the switch is off and it is incorrectly wired so that it is switching the Neutral conductor instead of the Active conductor, then you may get an electric shock.
thanks for the heads up I will make sure I get that checked out.... I guess I had assumed that if they were being stocked in Domayne (Harvey Norman) then they would meet all the criteria for being safe ..

Thanks again for the info, I've got it in my file of "things to remember to do before I buy ....."

Fiona
Hi there,

Thats awesome. I just had a look at that link ... very interesting. They have some really nice things, but unfortunately, they do not advertise their products, only a handful of projects.

By the way, how did you source where domayne gets its lights from?

About 3 months ago, i saw a nice office desk at domayne, it was called the new yorker (black leather), i searched high and low, but could never find it anywhere. So, i ended up going to freedom to deck out my office.

Cheers!
MICA
By the way, how did you source where domayne gets its lights from?
!

I just asked the nice guy who came over when I was looking - he went looking up prices and colour options and ended up photocopying the front cover of the catalogue that Domayne had behind the desk which showed the website of the company that the lights came from .... they said that they could order in anything from the catalogue ....

Fiona
Related
8/12/2023
Electrical - Sub distribution box/lighting automation

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

1. optional, you can but normally just use the earth from the main switch board 2. should be enough but the distance determines voltage drop - sparky should work it…

15/01/2024
Hall Way Lighting Suggestion

Lighting + Lighting Design

I have a really long hallway which is 1100mm W x 11500mm L I would appreciate if anyone can give suggestions to light it up with Linear LED lights that goes from wall to…

9/02/2024
Long hallway lighting suggestions

Building A New House

What? It's a lighting question, the control joint is only needed at 12m centres, a bulkhead or change of direction will suffice as a 'break' in the ceiling, just make…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum