Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Dimming LED Downlights: PWM (Pulse width modulation)?

Page 1 of 1
In researching dimmers for LED downlights, I came up with the following information:
"Triode for Alternating Current (TRIAC) dimmers have been the most common light controller installed in households and businesses for over 25 years. This method works well with incandescent and fluorescent lights and will work with LED lights but not to the same optimal performance. The main problem that occurs when LED lights are used with a TRIAC dimmer is a significant visible flicker

To get the best result of high brightness, long lamp life of 80,000 hours+ and consistent flicker free dimming from an LED light, it is highly recommended that it be used in conjunction with an LED specific dimmer. LED dimming drivers dim LED lights by reducing the forward current through Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) via a digital control."

I have a few questions for the experts:
1. Can anybody please recommend a good PWM style dimmer?
2. Has anybody seen any remote control or bluetooth PWM dimmers on the market?
3. Is a PWM dimmer installed as per a normal dimmer? I.e. a wall unit or is it installed off the LED driver/transformer?

Thanks,
Chris
I'm actually not so sure that a PWM dimmer will work with an LED downlight. I took a few different models of downlight to Creative Lighting in Ipswich (you can google them for their web site) to test with their dimmers and there were varying degrees of success. Apparently many LED downlights have in-built circuitry which isn't quite compatible with PWM, so while the dimmers work extremely well with common anode type strip lighting it's a bit hit and miss with downlights.
Hi Chris,
That information could be a little old as most quality drivers will deal with a Triac dimmer no problems at all.

In actual fact most LED drivers take the TRIAC signal (AC) and covert it to DC and dim using PWM.

Push button dimmers have caused some grief but Clipsal just released one recently that is pretty awesome we were getting down to 1%.

Model is 31E2PUD not real cheap but one of the best out there for LED.
Related
23/11/2023
Maximum Garage Width - Narrow Lot (Willoughby Council NSW)

Building A New House

Thanks again for this information. If you do hear anything different, would be great to know >

20/01/2024
Roof Load Width Needed

Renovation + Home Improvement

Any structural alteration to your home requires building permit. Before you get it you will have to supply plans with structural assessment, you will also be removing…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum