Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

replacing 2 small downlights with pendants

Page 1 of 1
we are moving house soon and the house, 4 yrs old, has downlights and fans in all rooms, and I thought some pendant lights over the kitchen bench (not a kitchen island) could give the open plan area a modern look,or do pendants only look good above an island?

There are 2 large downlights above the kitchen floor (which I could leave as is), and 3 small downlights on the same dimmer switch.
2 of those small downlights are above the kitchen bench with the barstools, and the other small downlight is above the sink.
I read in an old topic here, that you can incorporate a DIY type pendant which simply clicks into an existing lamp holder and that way you could save on electrical costs as you can legally install them yourself, and I wondered if there was a pendant which could click into a small downlight fitting where I could do it myself, or get an electrician to wire it straight in....or is the downlight wiring voltage not suitable to power a pendant light?
I would like to get 2 pendants with a top flange thingy so would cover the small downlight hole....and leave downlight above the sink working same time as pendants, or connect its wiring to the 2 big downlights in middle of kitchen, or have it working by itself which would need another switch in the wall.
maybe wiring in another pendant between the 2 small downlights would look good, although the 3 pendants would be close together, and in middle of bench not spread out across it. I think there is about 1 metre between those 2 downlights.
I was possibly looking at pendants with stainless fittings and frosted white glass shades.

anyway if I did have to plaster and paint ceiling and get new wiring done by an electrician, would 2 pendants be ok, or should I really go for 3-4 pendants......not really sure if the cost to do that would be worth it?

this is the current owners furniture in photo (can only see 1 downlight above barstool bench in this photo but there are 2)

anyway not sure if that all makes sense as its now past mightnight here. hehe
U need to take out or locate the tranny that connects the small downlights Thats where the 240v is the downlights most prob have 12v but then again depends on the voltage of the light needed you are changing to. I really didn't get what ur trying to do so msg me if u have any other questions? Sometimes idiots put the trannys behind the kitchen which is then hard to get to.
This is exactly what you're looking for! But looks like I'm about 10 years too late!

www.snaplighting.com.au
Related
26/04/2024
Choosing lighting pendants that will comply with standards

Lighting + Lighting Design

I am trying to find lighting for kitchen, dining areas but looking online, I don’t know if there are specific details I should be looking at to make sure any lights I…

21/05/2023
Replacing brick veneer?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Great advice, thanks Alex

26/07/2023
Replacing concealed guttering with normal guttering

Renovation + Home Improvement

Yes, get a builder, make sure he is experienced and a registered building practitioner

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum