Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Need advice - Downlight choices with Porter Davis (PD)

Page 1 of 1
I have my electrical selection this week and would like some advice on which approach to take with regards to installing downlights.
The following are my possible choices as I see it:
1) All downlights to be fitted by builder [Not preferred. Too expensive. Beyond my budget.]
2) Junction box in roof ready for post completion install of all downlights by electrician
3) Standard Battons fitted by builder at all desired downlight positions then change to draft-proof downlights myself [Will this scenario satisfy Electrical certification requirements? Is this considered same as simply changing a DIY light fitting (i.e. Batton to Chandelier, etc.)]
4) Is there another better option I have not thought of?

I am obviously aiming at spending the least amount possible.
I would appreciate advice from others whom have followed similar solutions.

Thanks.
James
James I would say option 2 would be the best if you can ask them to fit power outlets in the roof rather than junction boxes, then you can cut holes and plug in any down light you buy.

Option 3 doesn't sound feasible as you would still need to disconnect the batten fittings which means playing around with 240V which needs an electrician.
LEDenthusiast
James I would say option 2 would be the best if you can ask them to fit power outlets in the roof rather than junction boxes, then you can cut holes and plug in any down light you buy.

This sounds very interesting......
Do all downlights come with power point plugs?
I cannot guarantee all will but a lot do and its pretty easy to check. Power outlets are not very expensive so I would push that path with PD. Power outlets also give you the option to upgrade to LED late on in life without the cost of an electrician
Hi James,

We just signed with PD and will be starting in Sept. Will be having our Color, Electrical, and Tiles appointments next week.

Did you manage to get PD to install power outlets in the roof as suggested by LEDenthusiast?

Thanks
Kenneth
Hi guys,

Im an electrician by trade, and have sold hundreds of downlights to customers like yourselves looking to save on the installation of downlights.

I would suggest the electrician install what is known as a 413 (female plug in the roof) and you could do a DIY (if you a capable) or call an electrician (shouldnt be longer than a day if all plugs and locations are known) to install the lights for you.

Not all downlights come with a flex and plug, but can be purchased for about $3.50 each and attached to every downlight. We have these in our store and all comply with Australian Standards.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

24/10/2023
Need advice - vinyl over kitchen tiles

General Discussion

Levelling compound Ardit is the best but buy a bag of sand and make sand dam to protect your wood floor

29/10/2023
Need Subfloor Advice for a new build!

Building A New House

XCEM Alpha flooring seems to relatively new and I could not found any reviews. Have you or someone you know have used it and would recommend over other subfloor options?…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum