Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

bedside lamp for little girl's room

Page 1 of 2
hi guys

while I'm on the topic of my little darlings bedroom... I also want to get her a bedside table with a lamp. I saw one like this in the bed shop yesterday and fell in love... but it was very expensive. Just found this one on ebay for a lot less, do you think it looks too old or sophisticated for her room? it looks really gorgeous on with the light shining through the beads.

she'll also be having this bedlinen on her bed with matching bunting. if anyone has seen any other lamps (or toy chests, or anything else) that might match it, would love it if you could let me know. I'm not very good at this. ta!

I wouldn't be concerned it looks too old, I'd be worried that it looks quite easy to break if it was knocked over.

It's very girly and cute though.
yeah i thought this too, but willing to take a risk on it I think. she is not a rough and tumble child and is learning how to look after things.

her brother may be a different matter

it is very girly and cute isn't it
<hijack> love the bedspread - where's that from? </hijack>
For some reason the first image you've got of the bedside table doesn't show for me?
it's gorgeous isn't it sweetime!
It's a Sheridan Junior one (called Susie), I got it from Adairs Kids but I think it should be available in most good linen shops. Also saw it in the Sheridan outlet in DFO (but it wasn't discounted there - I waited for Adairs to have a sale).
and try this link for the lamp
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CHROME-TABLE-LAM ... 1c0e122563
The lamp is pretty, but (me being me) I'd be more inclined to get just a normal bedside lamp (perhaps with a pretty pink lampshade
). I'd then get a suncatcher or similar made from crystals and hang them near the window, if you really wanted the light catching crystal rainbow effect.

Maybe I'm just odd?
no, you're not odd! I might end up getting a normal one anyway, if I find one that goes nicely with the rest of her room.

I do love shiny pretty things though, and love getting them for my little girl
Oh i'm a huge fan of shiny pretty things, just ask my partner
He's had to talk me out of having chandeliers in every room.

I think I just have a very old fashioned decorating style, so feel free to ignore my suggestions
Gorgeous lamp and sheet set, Donuts!

My Daughter (who is almost 9) would probably have that broken in a flash! If not, then most definitely her younger brother would!!

Mine has a cheap target white base and a small mauve lamp shade, easy to clean and fairly break proof! My Son has a white base and red/white gingham shade (both from Laura Ashley) and the shade has already been welded together again...

Instead, my Daughter has an IKEA chandelier in her room (well, it's not quite up yet...) , and she (nor younger brother) can't reach it to break it!!!
I saw these on a blog the other day. You can choose the font, the colour of the box and the kind of light.

http://www.mylight.com.au/
Ooh a decorating thread on which I may actually be able to help- YAY!
I was in Aldi the other day and saw these: http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_14238.htm I think they are just the cutest thing and only cost $15. Plus they would probably go with the color scheme in your daughter's bedroom because they have multicolored dots on them. Dunno if there would still be any available in your area though.
And FWIW I agree with Stormy et al that maybe a pretty sparkly overhead lamp would be better: I had one when I was a kid and absolutely loved the effect of the rainbow color over the room.
hmm maybe you're right, maybe it will get broken
but I can't have a pretty normal one cause she has a light built into her fan

thank you all for the lovely ideas and pictures, grom40 those lamps are great, I actually think I might look for one for DS's room, I think one would look good in there, and what a great price! and those name ones...beautiful! they don't look like they'd give a lot of light though...?

i might keep looking for a bit, plan to go to ikea for the bedside tables so will have a look at the lighting in there too. if I don't see anything I love better I'll come back to ebay!
donuts

forgive my ignorance, but why does having a light in her fan prevent you from getting a normal lamp?
sweetime
donuts

forgive my ignorance, but why does having a light in her fan prevent you from getting a normal lamp?

it doesn't. I think Stormy & grom40 were talking about the main light in the room, that's what I am referring to when I say "normal". The one that can't be reached and therefore broken!
ahh right, i'm just an idiot.
gotcha.
My daughter is 6 and would have loved the selections you have made donuts.

One thing to consider for the future, my daughter can now read independently so now she needs a lamp she can read in bed with (she is a bit of a bookworm). We had to get rid of the pretty girly one in favour of one that gives better light and is easy for her to turn on and off. My 4yo son also likes to 'read' in bed too so he also has a new lamp. It's really great when your kids can read by themselves, it stops them constantly nagging me to read a book for them (not that I mind occasionally)

Albi
sweetime
ahh right, i'm just an idiot.
gotcha.

RUBBISH!

thanks albi! that's why I wasn't sure about the name lamp, I want themt o be able to read by the lights too. I can't wait till they're old enough to do it by themselves too
not that I don't love reading to them, but I want them to get as much enjoyment out of it as I do and I will love to watch them doing that!

Your DS is about the same age as mine, is he going to school next year? Which one, have you decided? (I know you're not far from me so thought I'd ask
PM me if you like!)
Hi donuts,

My son will be going the year after - he is actually 3 but turning 4 next week. My daughter goes to YW PS (I'm sure you know what I mean) we have been very happy with it. Feel free to PM me if you want any info. I have not heard a bad word about any of the schools in the area though so I think whatever you decide will be fine.

Just wait until your daughter starts reading the 'Fairy' series of books - you'll be very glad she can read by herself - I've never read anything so crap in all my life but she loves them

Albi
Related
27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum