Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

GU10 CFL downlight spacing

Page 1 of 1
As with others, I'm having a hard time choosing a downlight. I discounted the GU10 CFL bulbs since they are so dim that the spacing would have to be reduced (more lights required). I like the 2 metre spacing between downlights (and 1 metre to the wall). That is, 4 downlights in a 4 x 4 room and 6 downlights in a 4 x 6 m room.

Here's my question to those have GU10 CFL downlights:
1) How big is your room?
2) How many downlights do you have?
3) Do you think the light level is a bit dim, just right or plenty?

If you could add what wattage you have and which light bulb you have that would be even better.

So please, let me know about your GU10 CFL downlights.
Our main bedroom is 3.6 x 4.2 - 4 downlights
Kids rooms are 2.7 x 3.8 - 2 downlights (sizes excluding built-ins)

They have 11W GU10 CFL globes annd are fine for us - that being said it is up to the individuals needs, we don't like our rooms lit up like Wembley Stadium.

I'm about to install 9W GU10 CFLs in the halls which I may swap to dimmable 11W GU10 CFLs if the 11W is too bright (they are essentially for night lighting only.
Thanks for that Dukekamaya. How many watts for the main bedroom and the kids room? What brand are you using?

Also, if you had to do some reading, would you say the light level is enough (I assume reading, and maybe preparing food) would have the highest lighting requirements).
Anyone else with 240V GU10 CFL?
All the bedrooms are 11W.
We all use bedside lamps for reading, projects the light onto the book better IMO - much better for the eyes.
Hi Dukekamaya,

I asked about the light level for reading as I'm trying to work out if 4 x 11W GU10 CFLs in a 4 x 4 room (standard 50W halogen spacing) would be enough light for living areas. The best test for suitability for living areas that I can think of is how is the lighting for reading.

Cheers,
Casa
If its not you can get an 18W GU10 CFL
Anyone else using GU10 CFL downlights? What do you think of the light intensity?
There must be some people with GU10 CFLs in their house. Please let me know what you think of the lighting level for living areas.
hi casa2, did you end up getting the GU10 CFL?
what spacing did you end up doing?
Yes, I'm going with the GU10 CFL with a general spacing of 1 metre from the wall and 2 metres between lights. Where rooms don't quite fit this, I've tightened up the spacing rather than stretching it out.

Can't tell you how adequate it is since the house is still being built. Up my sleeve I know I can increase the wattage all the way up to 18 W if needed. I think 11, 13 or 15 W will be enough.
Casa2
Can't tell you how adequate it is since the house is still being built.

We have 9ft ceiling, I recently tried 13, and 18watt in the same room with 240v halogens...there just is no comparison (12v halogen blow them both out of the water)

GU10 cfl just don't have the output, u need 3 times as many to compare with a dichroic. (I wish I had now taken photo's!)

You should really see them installed someplace before deciding, we have gone 12v halogen a much nicer, brighter, dimmable, and affordable lighting solution.
Halogens are out for me. I like the spacing. If anything, I would change to a larger fitting.
Casa2, just saw the thread - we have the Megaman GU10 CFL 11W with spacing very similar to yours. We have been in for almost 18 months and are very happy with our lights. We installed mostly COOL (4000K) lights to our downstairs area due to the higher ceilings and primary 'living' function and WARM (3000K) lights to our upstairs with its' lower ceilings and primary 'sleep' function. As with Duke, we also use desk/reading lamps, etc to provide task lighting.

There have been only one or two occassions when I wished our lights were a little brighter/quicker; there have been NO occassions when I wished our $200/quarter average electricity bill for our 2 adults/2 children/2 storey home was higher
enigma_brennan
Casa2, just saw the thread - we have the Megaman GU10 CFL 11W with spacing very similar to yours. We have been in for almost 18 months and are very happy with our lights. We installed mostly COOL (4000K) lights to our downstairs area due to the higher ceilings and primary 'living' function and WARM (3000K) lights to our upstairs with its' lower ceilings and primary 'sleep' function. As with Duke, we also use desk/reading lamps, etc to provide task lighting.

There have been only one or two occassions when I wished our lights were a little brighter/quicker; there have been NO occassions when I wished our $200/quarter average electricity bill for our 2 adults/2 children/2 storey home was higher

Thanks enigma, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. (And I can always go up to 13, 15 or 18W if need be. Of course, once LED lights are commonplace, it's out with CFLs and in with the LEDS.)
enigma_brennan

$200 a quarter?

hmm let me see now...

12x halogens @ 65watts each, 5 hours a day, 365 days of the year @ 21 cents per/kwh

= $298.93

somehow I don't think it's the lighting
@Mika75, I am not sure were I stated I only had 12 downlights nor I am sure of what point you are trying to make re my post?
My point is toward the comment about ur electricity bill, ur alluding to the savings u have made by selecting GU10 cfls.

The 12x down lights was chosen as a household average.
Mika75
My point is toward the comment about ur electricity bill, ur alluding to the savings u have made by selecting GU10 cfls.

The 12x down lights was chosen as a household average.

Ok, now I understand; of course our electricity bill includes ALL our electrical appliances (most of which are relatively new and energy efficient) as well as our CFL's. But given that we have over 30 CFL's (in small banks of 4 and 2) and 3 LED's on the stairwell I believe our choice of lighting has contributed to our reduced electricity bills (as well as reduced cooling requirements and lighting maintenance).

I have no investment in what others do was only trying to reassure the OP not to mislead others
Related
2/05/2023
Concrete driveway: joint spacing

Paving & Concreting

Hi all I need a guidance on how far I need to space expansion joints in the concrete driveway and its type (keyway/foam.) Contraction joints are at 3m max for a 125 slab. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum