Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Under cupboard down light

Page 1 of 1
How much did your builder charge for under cupboard down lights in the kitchen? I'm thinking they might be a good minimalist idea but not sure how much they would be? We are yet to do our electrical plan.
We are putting four in place in total. Builders are charging us $196 per downlight. Kitchen's are always worth having nice functional and feature lighting in.
woah. that's a lot of coin for lights!

they must be awesome lights for that! or there must be some cupboard work to suit them.
I think our builder charges $150 - they need to be built in to the cabinetry.

Another option - get your builder to put power outlets in the hood of the exhaust so that you can get a sparky to put them in later - but it won't look as neat.
It's interesting to see the difference in pricing between builders.
Our builder has charged us $220.00 extra for the 2 under-cupboard downlights in our kitchen. That is, $110.00ea and these are not visible from the inside of the cupboard.
HTH
She&He+3+3
It's interesting to see the difference in pricing between builders.
Our builder has charged us $220.00 extra for the 2 under-cupboard downlights in our kitchen. That is, $110.00ea and these are not visible from the inside of the cupboard.
HTH

She+He+3+3, is that a ceiling light I see over your bench ? Any chance of a good shot of it ? And where did you buy it ? thanks
The Data Guys
woah. that's a lot of coin for lights!

they must be awesome lights for that! or there must be some cupboard work to suit them.

Woah indeed...

We went with long flouro lights under the kitchen cupboards....just got the cabinet makers to lift the bottom of the cupboards up by 40mm, so that the doors would conceal the flouros. Downlights look nice but as l will using the benches as a workspace too l wanted something that illuminated the area better.

I dunno how much extra the lights will cost me, but it's not much as my BIL is supplying installing all of our extra light points, tv, phone & power points, switches; even all the light fittings too (ceiling fans, downlights, oysters, sensor lights, exterior lights, wallights, pendants, mirror lights and even my crystal pendant) is included in his quote
...we have saved an absolute wad of cash!!
Thanks guys! At least now I know what to expect.
Hi Southies, sorry just found your post.
That is a fluro in the centre of the kitchen, we actually have down lights above the bench.
We purchased from DeLights for $155.0 but have found them online here:
http://shop.micaunited.com.au/details/2204711.html

I love cooking and wanted to be sure I would not have any poor lighting issues, so covered all my bases!
Dee, is yours the same size as that of Micas's ie 1260mm long ?
Southies yes, that link is to the exact same light we have installed. There is a smaller version available also and we have used the square version in our study.
fabulous, thanks !!
Are these prices for installing into a new kitchen while the kitchen is being built?

How about an existing kitchen? Are there battery operated options for downlights under cabinets above the benchtops?
Hi there Dee,

Thanks for mentioning us!!
Related
3/10/2023
Laundry floor has recess under cupboard

Laundry

Waterproofing wet areas, including laundries is a requirement now. I don't know if it was 12 years (for a laundry) but I can't see why it would t have been. Have you got…

26/06/2023
Restoration of old cupboard

General Discussion

Hi I bought an old cupboard that is in desperate need of some TLC. I was seeking some advice as to the best product to use to give it an oil but also bring it to life a…

26/04/2024
Overhead cupboard door size in Kitchen – which is better

Kitchen Corner

Bigger the better for storage for me IMO. But I guess it's harder to tell the cost/benefit in your example - mainly the 'cost'? If you go 700mm, what are you doing extra…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum