Join Login
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design

Facade Lighting - up/down lights vs downlights

Page 1 of 1
We are stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment about which way to go for our facade lighting. LED downlights in the eaves or up/down lights on the front wall/s.

Anyone have any opinions or personal experiences with how each look and perform? Are there any pros and cons or is it just aesthetics only?

Drawing of our facade below - we were thinking 4 lights across the front (1 each end and 1 in front of the front columns).

...or, wall washers.
arcadelt
...or, wall washers.

Well now you've thrown another spanner in the works

Never even heard of them.
Monty85
Well now you've thrown another spanner in the works

Monty85
We are stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment about which way to go for our facade lighting. LED downlights in the eaves or up/down lights on the front wall/s.

Anyone have any opinions or personal experiences with how each look and perform? Are there any pros and cons or is it just aesthetics only?

Drawing of our facade below - we were thinking 4 lights across the front (1 each end and 1 in front of the front columns).

What's the purpose of the lighting; aesthetics, security or..........?
Althom
Monty85

What's the purpose of the lighting; aesthetics, security or..........?

Primarily aesthetics

But secondary reasons being for practicality and I guess security but that hasn't been a motivator at all.
i like out of sight out of mind so i went with downlights in the eaves across the facade and also in the front porch on a seperate light switch
You have a similar façade to us. We did up/down lights on the posts, a downlight at the front door and a spotlight (same design as the up/down light) over the driveway. We love the effect we get. They are on 3 separate switches.

We also did downlights down the sides of the house, so it's not dark if you go out there at night time.
Related
8/12/2023
Electrical - Sub distribution box/lighting automation

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

1. optional, you can but normally just use the earth from the main switch board 2. should be enough but the distance determines voltage drop - sparky should work it…

15/01/2024
Hall Way Lighting Suggestion

Lighting + Lighting Design

I have a really long hallway which is 1100mm W x 11500mm L I would appreciate if anyone can give suggestions to light it up with Linear LED lights that goes from wall to…

9/02/2024
Long hallway lighting suggestions

Building A New House

What? It's a lighting question, the control joint is only needed at 12m centres, a bulkhead or change of direction will suffice as a 'break' in the ceiling, just make…

You are here
Building ForumLighting + Lighting Design
Home
Pros
Forum