Join Login
Building ForumOld Home Restoration / Renovation

Raising house on concrete slab

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I have a 165sq mtr house partially on a concrete slab (major portion) and an extension on stumps. I want to check if it’s feasible to raise it and build underneath or should I build over.

It’s an old house (built in 1960s) but has solid hardwood timber frame that I would love to retain and create an open layout underneath.

I have seen videos on YouTube of this being done in the US but not sure if that can be done here.

Cheers
Dd
You will need to overcome compliance issues, start with an architect or a good building designer
building-expert
You will need to overcome compliance issues, start with an architect or a good building designer

Yes I agreed with you, This is a good suggestion to recover all the issues. Thanks for your advice!
Ddtheone
From an engineering perspective raising the house isn't cost effective
There are minimal compliance issues for basements, lol no overlooking issues
OT Basement are effective where
1. the land costs are in excess of $20K/m2, chelsea/london houses have 3 storey mega basements
2. Height restrictions & Caveats
3. Airbnb Rentals in sort after locations ie house renovations, lofts, basements, garage conversions, etc
4. Historically significant/heritage buildings that can't be touched above ground, but do as you wish beneath? Here
What's beneath: the subterranean secrets of London's super-rich
Related
12/06/2023
Concrete slab formwork - what happens after?

General Discussion

The concreter will take and reuse. In my case I bought structural LVLs and scraped them back and used them as joists.

15/12/2023
New Concrete Slab extended exposure duration

Building A New House

yep, clearly mark where the infloor heating pipes are before drilling or nailing

13/03/2024
Concrete slab

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

is this for a residential dwelling or a shed? If its for a dwelling, its out of tolerance and a "mistakes happen" isnt a good enough excuse to just move on.

You are here
Building ForumOld Home Restoration / Renovation
Home
Pros
Forum