Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Tiling over tiles.. is this possible or not at all?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all
We have a not even two year old house built by GJ gardner. We had the exterior tiled but have found out the tiles are only R10 rating. We are going to put a pool in and will not be able to use these tiles around the pool. I am also concerned of water s[illing from the pool onto these tiles making it a hazard. Is it possible to tile over these tiles with proper pool/outdoor rated tiles to match the pool area or do I have to have them removed? I would have about 65m2 of tiles to remove. If I had to remove them whats the going rate? I dont have time to do it myself. thanks!
If the original tiles are still in good nick and stuck solid (ie no druminess/hollow sounds when tapping) then you can tile over tile. Normally the tiler would need to prep the existing tiles by priming or mechanically grinding the surface to take off the glaze so the new adhesive can bond to. This method is probably more cost effective and quicker than removing original tiles
Related
16/11/2023
Possible to "surface over" or would I need to completely rel

Paving & Concreting

You can wash over existing pavers with 10% solution of water and hydrochloric acid, then wash off. The acid will provide for required bond key with new concrete.

4/11/2023
Tiling over old adhesive

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi, I'm clearing the tiles from our horrid 50 year old bathroom and preparing to lay new ones. Bugger of a job getting the old…

23/04/2024
Tiling over slate

Flooring & Floor Covering

just pull up the slate. If you go over the top, your tiles would not have an even surface to be glued to. Im no tiler, but i can imagine a couple of things being an issue…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum