Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Opinion on polished concrete floors

Page 1 of 1
I'm not completely happy with the polished concrete floors in the property I recently purchased and was hoping to get a second opinion:

1) There is a nail in my floor! (see below) It obviously fell in later on in the process (as opposed to being in the cement mix) which is evident when you run your finger over it. Also, it has already started to rust..
Am I wrong to complain about this? What's the best way to rectify e.g. cut it out then fill with concrete?

2) I have seen polished concrete with white specks which look quite nice, but the white specks in my floors stick out like a sore thumb and I keep trying to pick them up thinking they are bits of paper/rubbish (see below). Thoughts?

3) There are scuff marks and other random marks all over the floor. Is this the standard quality of work for polished concrete floors?
I think it comes down to how much you paid. Higher precision = higher costs.

By their very nature, polished concrete floors have inherent variations. The nail is unfortunate, but it happens. You could remove it and fill that void with resin, but you'd still notice the shape. You could mask it by adding a few bits of tiny aggregate into the resin. With respect to the white chips, it is tough to get perfectly sorted aggregate unless you pay absolute top dollar,because it would require hand removal of all variations.

Usually people who want polished concrete floors, especially with exposed aggregate, are happy with an organic look and variations. For those that want something more uniform, products such as tiles or engineered stone panels would be a better choice.
Related
8/05/2023
Opinion on Ensuite layout

Building A New House

Thanks for the suggestion. The space between shower and sinks was too tight. I agree about the toilet location. So I have tried two other options: The lower one is…

27/11/2023
Opinion about Ceiling Moisture

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

these look like missing batts. Go up and take a look. But yeah moisure meter is a completely different tool

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum