Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Carpet Choices HELP!

Page 1 of 1
Hi

I'm looking at upgrading my carpet from the standard builders range Allworth Homes have offered me.

As standard they have offered me a textured carpet and a 8mm thick underlay I believe.

My question is would you go to 10mm underlay and why?

Also textured or twist pile carpet and why?

I just need some help deciding so any advice is welcomed.

Thanks
Do you have indoor pets? If so, loop pile is out as their nails can get stuck in it and pull it up.

We went with a 10mm denser underlay, with waterproofing. Having said that, we only have carpet in 2 rooms. I think the density is worth it if you're building on slab, offers more relief for the joints. We went with a twist pile carpet.

*edit for correction between twist & loop!
Definitely upgrade the underlay if you can - on top of a slab it is worth it, feels nice and plush.
As for the carpet we went with the colour we wanted, rather than style, so I'm not much help there. Good luck
Thanks guys appreciate the tips, I will get the 10mm underlay for sure then.

I don't have pets inside but I do have young kids which is why I'm wondering if I should get cheap carpet or better wearing carpet with the kids?
Cheap carpet with lots of wear will need redoing in 5 years, where quality carpets can go 15_20 years or more.

I am building with Allworth and I am doing the flooring myself after handover as they don't do timber or vinyl. We have two young boys, so my musts are 10mm underlay, and a soft pile, as most of my time on the carpet is spent on my knees playing with the boys, so comfort was priority this time round. And a dark colour 😁
Hi there,

Thanks for the tips, if you don't mind me asking which house are you building with allworth and where are you up to?
Thanks
Hi Candice, we are building the Carlisle, slightly modified. We have just signed off on plans to go for CDC.
We are up to the same position our house is in council at the moment its meant to be out by the end of next week roughly. So its getting exciting
Related
16/05/2023
Best carpet deals in perth

Flooring & Floor Covering

Have you tried Parry's or Carpet Court?

17/08/2023
Carpet in the bedroom vs Tiles vs Hybrid Flooring

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi Yash, Have you made a decision yet?

2/08/2023
Ramping Carpet Up To Bathroom Level

General Discussion

they can, it's a fairly standard solution when the slab isn't recessed. the falls need to be in the main floor, if it hasn't been done then you need to ask them to redo…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum