Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Prepping external bare brick wall for tiling

Page 1 of 1
Chasing some tiling wisdom, tips and tricks from the tiling community...

I have an external 2x bare brick wall 3m high x 2.1m wide double brick that I need to prepare for tiling 900x450 rectified porcelain tiles. The are blade feature walls at the entry and tiles on all faces x 0.3 sides.

- If brick work is uneven, what is the best easiest and cost effective way to prepare it? Can I fill low stops with adhesive or other recommended fillers?

- Can I put adhesive onto bare brick or should it be sealed/primed first like Bondcrete? My thoughts are it would bond best to bare brick if cleaned thoroughly first.

- As the wall is out in the weather, does it need to be thoroughly dried out first after rain or is some minor moisture ok?

- What adhesive do you recommend for exterior use in full weather? Can I use Davco SMP Evo as I've used it before inside and have a 20kg bag left over?

- Are 2mm grout gaps acceptable practice?

- What is the going rate per square metre for installing rectified tiles vs normal tile As I know they are more challenging/time-consuming? I might have to call in a pro but am confident I can do a good job and save money for my friend!

I will mark out tile pattern thoroughly before hand and hi/low spots and take my time. I have use of a power tile cutter and will mitre edges and us levelling system to help reduce and risk of lippage. I have tiled before and turned out great but I know rectified tile will be a challenge. I love a challenge...

Any tips or advice is much appreciated.
Cheers
Related
27/12/2023
‘Basement’ waterproofing bare bricks

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

to do it properly you need to dig out the garden and waterproof the outside of the wall. There are some products you can put on the face of the bricks but the water is…

30/10/2023
External wall render

Building A New House

Thank you Pedro4137

27/06/2023
Hole on brick veneer wall

General Discussion

can’t tell from the photo, a tie down rod will be 12mm, is it a steel beam? he should be able to work it out

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum