Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Matt timber floor?

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

What are peoples thoughts on a matt (instead of a gloss) finish on our timber floors?
The floors will probably be a blonde mix, it depends on how many and which trees we decide to get milled.
The reason I'm thinking Matt is purely because we don't want to be bothered by seeing the scratches and constant dust that comes with a gloss finish.
PROS?
CONS?
I would go matt finish. Prior to renovating our house we had a very dark finish on cyprus pine and you could see everything. I hated it.
When we renovated we sanded the existing floor back and applied one coat of lime wash and a matt sealer on top- it is a completely different floor. Now we love it.

We lived in a previous house also with light coloured matt timber floors and it does hide the scratches a lot better.

Good luck with your renos.
Thanks heaps for the input dolphinblu!
Yeah, go with matt. We had an absolutely beautiful floor once which was very glossy, but keeping it looking great was way too hard. We ended up ripping it all up and going for a floor which is matt and has some texture to it. It was a massive job, but so well worth it.

We went with a satin finish (similar to matte?). The floor guy said it was a much more modern look than gloss and also better in terms of dust showing.

Thanks Dreamer and meminiau.
Definitely not wanting showy floors.

Know of any good matt polyurethane products? for durability?
Related
28/12/2023
Matt Black Kitchen .. Options

Kitchen Corner

I asked this question of one of the forum's resident cabinet makers who may/may not wish to identify himself to answer other questions if he sees this, but the rersponse…

6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

5/09/2023
Water Underneath Timber Floor

General Discussion

The most likely cause of your timber swelling (parquetry?) is either a plumbing leak or carelessly leaving water on floors after use or both. Without seeing, i am ignoring…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum