Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Non-slip Wet Area Flooring Alternatives To Tiles

Page 1 of 1
Having this very morning slipped on my wet bathroom tiles, suspecting to see in the next couple of days some major bruising and tenderness, I wondered if there was an alternate floor covering for wet areas that didn't have a surface like glass when moisture hit. All I can come up with is vinyl but have not seen it used in any modern home. Is there such a product as non-slip tiles?
How about tiles that are used for outdoor areas. They have a higher 'slip' rating. Or perhaps polished concrete. The level of polish and sealer type used can have a bearing on how 'slippery' it is. We have polished concrete on our deck and so far no issues
dolphinblu
How about tiles that are used for outdoor areas. They have a higher 'slip' rating. Or perhaps polished concrete. The level of polish and sealer type used can have a bearing on how 'slippery' it is. We have polished concrete on our deck and so far no issues

Love the idea of polished concrete on the deck. My husband wanted exposed agg but I thought that would be too harsh, polished concrete sounds both practical and classy. My husband had his own kitchen making firm in NZ making high end kitchens and he had a few use polished concrete benctops. I loved them. I think it would look great in the bathroom as well but might not be able to sell him on that big of an upgrade.
I believe there are nonslip tiles you can get for wet areas. I'm currently researching different options, as I have one leg and recently had a fall that sprained a back joint and tore hip cartilage! And some super nasty bruising on my leg too. I'll let you know what I find out, and I'll watch this thread with interest!

I do like the idea of polished concrete, but I don't think I would be able to convince my partner either

My build thread:
Building our first home in the Ascot Estate Pakenham - East West Homes viewtopic.php?t=77799
Jwalt
I believe there are nonslip tiles you can get for wet areas. I'm currently researching different options, as I have one leg and recently had a fall that sprained a back joint and tore hip cartilage! And some super nasty bruising on my leg too. I'll let you know what I find out, and I'll watch this thread with interest!

I do like the idea of polished concrete, but I don't think I would be able to convince my partner either

My build thread:
Building our first home in the Ascot Estate Pakenham - East West Homes viewtopic.php?t=77799

It has been suggested that I find a rough textured tile that I like, purchase one and put it through a few tests, like how easy to clean and how slippery in the wet. But tommorrow I am going to look at good old-fashioned lino! If they can make such realistic vinyl wood look flooring they may also make a good lino product. I'll let you know how I get on.
We chose our wet area tiles today at elegance tiles, and went with a textured grey outdoor tile with a bit of grip. I'm hoping this will help me slip less in the shower!:

My build thread:
The tiles also don't have to have a rough texture to be non-slip when they are wet. I've seen a few that just had enough of an uneven surface to achieve that despite the fact that they were essentially a gloss finish tile.

Stewie
We hope you are ok. There is a few options to get an anti-slip flooring for your shower floor. One of them is unfilled travertine natural stone tiles. They are very porous by nature providing a good grip on a wet surface. As long as it’s sealed, you don’t need to worry about moisture penetrating. Another option is mosaic tiles. There are many variations of mosaic tiles which would give you nice grip because of its grout joints. As mentioned earlier, R11 certified anti-slip tiles may also work for you. It is true though that the rougher the surface is, harder it is to keep clean. If you would like more advise, please feel free to contact us, or visit our site at https://www.tfo.com.au.

Related
10/04/2024
Cesearstone Alternatives

Kitchen Corner

and they have their Mineral range too

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

15/08/2023
Building Design Certificate Non-Compliance

General Discussion

From a pure legal perspective, if you've signed the variation, it is a very high bar to have it set aside. No-one can give you legal advice on a forum, but you would need…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum