Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Vinyl planks vs solid timber

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

We are building a new house and need to select our flooring. Our home will be 2 storeys, carpet upstairs.

I am seriously considering vinyl planks (about 2 mt long) for downstairs. Choices flooring has a great looking product on sale for $98sqm installed, with 15yr warranty.

We had solid timber installed (blackbutt wide) in our last house and whilst I loved the detail, the boards shrunk so we had gaps and it scratched/dinged. For a premium product I was disappointed, especially with the shrinking (we are in Perth).

I would love to hear any feedback on the vinyl planks - Choices also had some at $38 Sqm - I guess we would go with the $98 version.... Colour/size/warranty

Many thanks
Hi, Those sound lovely, have a look at a good quality Bamboo too - must be strand woven and cold pressed if you're in Perth. Its so hard and scratch resistant - almost scratch proof. I'm sure it would be stronger than laminate, and quite economic. I love ours and I don't panic about the dog coming in occasionally (or my stilettos)
Hi Denten, assuming you went with the vinyl plank, good to your experience, we are in the same position with our new built

Choices is an absolute rip off
Related
6/10/2023
installing vinyl planks underlay

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi l plan to install a self adhesive vinyl plank floor. l first need to attach masonite boards underlay to by plywood subfloor of my house. What size nails and how many…

6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

19/08/2023
Solid plastering around door frames - help... so confused :(

General Discussion

If this is a custom build then I would expect the builder to set out the door frame closer to the wall to avoid the gap between architrave and the wall and or specify…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum