Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

I work in flooring - do you have a flooring question?

Page 41 of 50
Hi Michelle,
I'd love to put timber or polished concrete down in our new build but it's going to work with our budget. I had decided I was going to jump onto the vinyl plank bandwagon as everyone seems to be doing it but got nervous as this is our forever home and we're spending alot of money. My main concern is that Vinyl planks might de-value our new house but I do love the look of some of the Karndean longboards and Heartridge just nervous about using vinyl.
Our builder includes quik step laminate in their inclusions which I'm not sure I like the sound when walking on it. When building a luxury house, what is the most cost effective but also nicest flooring to go for? At colour selections yesterday we ended up choosing safe and using rectified porcelein tiles that I have in my current house.
I'm so torn though! Help please!
vineethdj
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your posts, very helpful for people like me, first time home builders

Any feedback regarding Quick-step impressive Ultra for kitchen/living areas? Also, are there any alternatives that we should consider?

Cheers,
Vinnie

Hi Vineethedj,

Impressive Ultra in now water proof, you pay a little more extra for it now, but well worth it!
There's vinyl planks, but if you like a true timber look, laminates are the way to go.

I hope this has helped.

Michelle

De Novo Concepts -

shellb78
Hi Michelle,
I'd love to put timber or polished concrete down in our new build but it's going to work with our budget. I had decided I was going to jump onto the vinyl plank bandwagon as everyone seems to be doing it but got nervous as this is our forever home and we're spending alot of money. My main concern is that Vinyl planks might de-value our new house but I do love the look of some of the Karndean longboards and Heartridge just nervous about using vinyl.
Our builder includes quik step laminate in their inclusions which I'm not sure I like the sound when walking on it. When building a luxury house, what is the most cost effective but also nicest flooring to go for? At colour selections yesterday we ended up choosing safe and using rectified porcelein tiles that I have in my current house.
I'm so torn though! Help please!

Hi Shellb78.... I feel your pain!!

It is NOT an easy decision, with so many selections of flooring around now it is mind bending.
1 - Vinyl will NOT de value your home, vinyl is a top selling product over any other flooring at the moment.
BUT, as time goes on with anything, vinyl will be super seeded by something else.

This comes back to your forever home...the oaks are more affordable than the Australian timbers in a floating timber floor. We just got a new one in yesterday, a really wide board. will attach photo for you. I have concrete and LOVE it!
Its not polished, just had one of the guys from work come in a grind the slab back rough for an industrial look. I'm also putting Karnean vinyl tiles in my wet areas. Don't underestimate the 4.5mm vinyl.

If you intend on staying in this home....my advice is to try and get what you love the most. (if you can)

Its a tough decision, follow your heart!!
x

Michelle

De Novo Concepts

The new wide board Oaks....

Hi,
what are the timber floor finishing methods? Can we just have it waxed after sanding?
Hi Michelle!

We are looking at building our frst home through a small builder in Melbourne. I'm just wondering if you would recommend Vinyl flooring of timber laminate? Our builder has advised it will be $100m2 installed as opposed to $65m2 installed for timber laminate, I'm not sure it will be worth the additional cost to simply have Vinyl. Do these costs seem reasonable or should we seek quotes elsewhere for the flooring?
Buildingindoreen
Hi Michelle!

We are looking at building our frst home through a small builder in Melbourne. I'm just wondering if you would recommend Vinyl flooring of timber laminate? Our builder has advised it will be $100m2 installed as opposed to $65m2 installed for timber laminate, I'm not sure it will be worth the additional cost to simply have Vinyl. Do these costs seem reasonable or should we seek quotes elsewhere for the flooring?

That price looks like very expensive. Can get done after handover around $60 to $70 vinyl or hybrid installed.
solo123
Hi,
what are the timber floor finishing methods? Can we just have it waxed after sanding?

That's for solid timber flooring I don't sell that.
BUT yes, you can.
Clean
Buildingindoreen
Hi Michelle!

That price looks like very expensive. Can get done after handover around $60 to $70 vinyl or hybrid installed.

Thanks for this! I will look into getting flooring done after handover.
Buildingindoreen
Hi Michelle!

Hi there..... this is a common question.
As a building and flooring consultant, these are my questions to my clients.

How do you live in your house, do you take your shoes off, do you REALLY live in your house and give your flooring a hard time? Replacing a vinyl plank is soooo much easier than replacing laminate planks. DO you like quiet? Vinyl will give you quiet! Do you like to look of real timber over plastic looking?? Laminate is the go.

I prefer the vinyl, but that's just me.
Laminate is too drummy for me. Do you have kids? It will be loud......

It really is a personal choice. Most of the time it will come back to $$$ do what suits you best.
If you are going with a laminate, make sure its one of the water proof types!

I hope this has helped!!
Buildingindoreen
Clean
Buildingindoreen
Hi Michelle!

Thanks for this! I will look into getting flooring done after handover.

Oiling looks great!!
Michelle
Buildingindoreen
Hi Michelle!

How do you live in your house, do you take your shoes off, do you REALLY live in your house and give your flooring a hard time? Replacing a vinyl plank is soooo much easier than replacing laminate planks. DO you like quiet? Vinyl will give you quiet! Do you like to look of real timber over plastic looking?? Laminate is the go.

It really is a personal choice. Most of the time it will come back to $$$ do what suits you best.

I hope this has helped!!

Thanks so much Michelle, this is so helpful. What do you think o the prices I have been quoted by my builder? Should I look into arranging my own flooring after handover?
Buildingindoreen
Michelle
Buildingindoreen
Hi Michelle!

I hope this has helped!!

Thanks so much Michelle, this is so helpful. What do you think o the prices I have been quoted by my builder? Should I look into arranging my own flooring after handover?

It will ALWAYS be cheaper to do after handover. Remember, your builder is making money the best way he can, most of the private builders are happy for you to take the flooring burden off them.

By the way... $65m2 is very cheap, not water proof and probably only 7mm, look into to that!!
It seems maybe people are missing the Hybrid thing.....let me explain.

Hybrids are a combination of vinyl with a locking system like a floating floor.
So basically it is a floating vinyl floor. You still need the expansion gap of about 2mm around the room, cover with either
skirting or Scotia.

Its a floating vinyl floor...water proof as all vinyl is.

Questions??

Michelle
By the way... $65m2 is very cheap, not water proof and probably only 7mm, look into to that!!

Thanks Michelle. Is $100m2 for Vinyl reasonable? I will ask them about a hybri as well. Where does that sit price-wise in comparison with the other two options?
Buildingindoreen
Michelle

Thanks Michelle. Is $100m2 for Vinyl reasonable? I will ask them about a hybri as well. Where does that sit price-wise in comparison with the other two options?

Yes, its close, not knowing what vinyl they are quoting you on?? You need to find that out also, which brand?
Karndean do a locking clip which is around $110 installed, others are slightly cheaper.
Michelle
Buildingindoreen
Michelle

Yes, its close, not knowing what vinyl they are quoting you on?? You need to find that out also, which brand?
Karndean do a locking clip which is around $110 installed, others are slightly cheaper.

Yes it's Karndean that they've quoted. I think I'll have to look into it more, it's sounding pretty great!
Getting a bit over loosing my posts here!!

Go to a Choices flooring store, they will be able to give you all the info you need. In fact MOST flooring stores keep Karndean!

De Novo Concepts - http://www.denovoconcepts.com online building advice

Michelle
Getting a bit over loosing my posts here!!

Go to a Choices flooring store, they will be able to give you all the info you need. In fact MOST flooring stores keep Karndean!

De Novo Concepts - http://www.denovoconcepts.com online building advice

Thanks so much Michelle, I will do that
Hi Michelle,

The planting hybrids are advertised to be fade resistant but the korlok by karndean don't mention it at all. Between the karndean and proline rigid cores... What would you put down?
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

12/11/2023
Beginner advice - how can we make this house work for us???

Renovation + Home Improvement

I posted the floorplan on Houzz.com forum and got some really good ideas and advice from people there. Then we reached out to a couple of renovation companies and one…

25/02/2024
Staged payment request BUT work not done as per contract

Building A New House

1) I had requested R6 ceiling insualtion batts, however I noticed that on some areas there are huge gaps which will allow hot air to sweep in, and also noticed black/grey…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum