Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

I work in flooring - do you have a flooring question?

Page 35 of 50
Michelle
Michelle
SamanthaS
Hi Michelle
We are looking at flooring for our new home build. We are looking at timber downstairs, carpet upstairs.
I'm so confused with the timber floors. One shop recommended engineered timber, another recommended laminate & another was something different again.
I'm really not sure about it all. Engineered was quoted at $100/m installed, laminate $81 installed (on special).
We have 2 small children, possibly a dog in the future, possibly a wheelchair down the track.
Do you have any advise which one to go with? Laminate or engineered timber? Or is there another one. Not really keen on the feel of vinyl that I've seen so far.
Thanks so much

Wow Samantha....I totally missed your post I'm so sorry. I don't always get notice of a reply in here.
I'll try and look in tonight for you.

So Samantha.... the mention of a wheelchair has secured my advice for you. You need to go look at the Karndean Loose lay flooring. 4.5ml thick, quiet, water proof, easy replaced if damaged. BUT.... my main reason for suggesting this flooring, scuff resistant, scratch resistant! If a plank is damaged that plank is taken out and replaced with a new one....easy as that! NOT so with the floating floors. Every floor has a purpose...Karndean tick a lot of those purposes.
The wheelchair will move over this vinyl flooring with ease. If the person in the wheelchair happens to spill anything, there is no need to rush and clean it up, as so with some floating boards.

This is my recommendation - I hope this has helped.

http://www.karndean.com/en-au/floors

Michelle
SamanthaS
Hi Michelle
We are looking at flooring for our new home build. We are looking at timber downstairs, carpet upstairs.
I'm so confused with the timber floors. One shop recommended engineered timber, another recommended laminate & another was something different again.
I'm really not sure about it all. Engineered was quoted at $100/m installed, laminate $81 installed (on special).
We have 2 small children, possibly a dog in the future, possibly a wheelchair down the track.
Do you have any advise which one to go with? Laminate or engineered timber? Or is there another one. Not really keen on the feel of vinyl that I've seen so far.
Thanks so much

Wow Samantha....I totally missed your post I'm so sorry. I don't always get notice of a reply in here.

Michelle
SamanthaS
Hi Michelle
Thanks so much

Michelle
SamanthaS
Hi Michelle
Thanks so much

Michelle
SamanthaS
Hi Michelle
Thanks so much

So Samantha.... the mention of a wheelchair has secured my advice for you. You need to go look at the Karndean Loose lay flooring. 4.5ml thick, quiet, water proof, easy replaced if damaged. BUT.... my main reason for suggesting this flooring, scuff resistant, scratch resistant! If a plank is damaged that plank is taken out and replaced with a new one....easy as that! NOT so with the floating floors. Every floor has a purpose...Karndean tick a lot of those purposes.
The wheelchair will move over this vinyl flooring with ease. If the person in the wheelchair happens to spill anything, there is no need to rush and clean it up, as so with some floating boards.

This is my recommendation - I hope this has helped.

http://www.karndean.com/en-au/floors

So... what just happened???

If someone want to fix that mess....go right ahead.

NEXT!!
libran_59
Hi Michelle, just quickly. We are building a double story. Color selection is due in a week's time but still haven't decided on which flooring to go for upstairs and downstairs. Is it better to have wooden floor downstairs and carpet upstairs or go with tiles downstairs. I am more inclined towards wooden floors downstairs as tiles needs maintenance but wifey is more about tiles as they look better. Please advise on same. Also for upstairs which carpet will be best to have as I have a 2 yr old daughter. I eventually wanted to have floor boards upstairs but builder doesnt provide you with that so for the time being we thought of getting the carpets done with them and then after few years if need to be, we can replace with floorboards.

Thank you

Hi libran 59....my year!!

Rule of thumb...carpet upstairs due to the noise and drumming of floating floor and anything you want down stairs.
Carpet, kids and adults.. SDN carpets, I find adults worst than kids.... Solution Dyed Nylons. Easy to clean, won't fade. Short pile twist around the $230 mark will get you a good one. What will go on the stairs? Carpet or timber? Again carpet is quieter, upgrade the underlay for the stairs.

So... after working with so many different types of flooring these days, there is no way I would use a tile in the main area's of my house. Shower maybe....but that's it. Tile can chip and crack and not so easy to replace.

Take wifey out and let her see what is available.

Hi Michelle,

Hope you are doing well.

I am currently confused with lot of Vinyl flooring options in the market.Could you please help me how to decide which product to choose.I don't want to over spend on flooring if the difference in quality isn't much.I have been searching the products and following are the one which got my attention :
1. Karndean Looselay ( Good but costly)
2. Carpet call hybrid flooring
3. Novacore premium Waterproof flooring by Harvey Norman
4. Dunlop Vinyl Luxury Planks
5. Krono Vinyl
6. Decor Vinyl

I have seen some Vinyl which felt very cold on feet which I definitely don't want. Also, life and cost of the product are other factors which is important.

Thanks in advance.
dreamhomz
Hi Michelle,

Hope you are doing well.

I am currently confused with lot of Vinyl flooring options in the market.Could you please help me how to decide which product to choose.I don't want to over spend on flooring if the difference in quality isn't much.I have been searching the products and following are the one which got my attention :
5. Krono Vinyl
6. Decor Vinyl

I have seen some Vinyl which felt very cold on feet which I definitely don't want. Also, life and cost of the product are other factors which is important.

Thanks in advance.

Hi.... are you building a new home or renovating?
What will be your sub floor?

Michelle
dreamhomz
Hi Michelle,

Hope you are doing well.

5. Krono Vinyl
6. Decor Vinyl

Thanks in advance.

Hi.... are you building a new home or renovating?
What will be your sub floor?

I am building a new double storey house. I am sorry, what do you mean by sub floor?
Sub floor is for you, probably concrete on the bottom floor and chipboard on the top floor. That's what they will do as you flooring on a new build.

With a two story house and a chip board floor upstairs means a bit of noise down stairs under the top floor.
My recommendation is to either lay the hybrid vinyl, which should have a rubber backing which is quiet to walk on
Choices Flooring have one also called "Abode" go check it out. Other than that the Looselay is perfect with its rubber backing for sound. Karndean make a good product that's why its expensive.

If you are laying carpet upstairs and have no issue with noise, then choose a 3ml vinyl plank which will be glued directly to the slab. Again...pop into Choices Flooring they have a few to show you and they are cheaper than the Looselay.

I don't know the other flooring's that you mentioned, I work at Choices Flooring and have no need to go see what everyone else is selling. Sorry.
By the way....all vinyl flooring is water proof.

I hope this has helped

Thanks for the reply Michele.

I will check the flooring you suggested. Someone also recommended me Kardean Korlok (Hybrid Vinyl) range.Is it better then looselay? Do u know if price wise it is cheaper?

I am so much frustrated to see huge difference in flooring cost with diff suppliers
even for the same product.Shoud I just go with the one offering cheapest or there can be difference in the way they install product?
Thanks again
dreamhomz

I will check the flooring you suggested. Someone also recommended me Kardean Korlok (Hybrid Vinyl) range.Is it better then looselay? Do u know if price wise it is cheaper?

I am so much frustrated to see huge difference in flooring cost with diff suppliers
even for the same product.Shoud I just go with the one offering cheapest or there can be difference in the way they install product?
Thanks again

Hi... the Korlok is slightly cheaper than the long boards, by $9 and also a good floor. Remember it will need to be laid the same as a floating floor. All flooring should be laid the same way!
Get quotes from everyone and tell them they are competing and see who comes in the cheapest.
Remember though....your floor is the one thing that is used every day!!! It needs be good enough to go the distance so you are not replacing it in a few years. They seem expensive, but for good reason.

Good luck.

Michelle
dreamhomz

Thanks again

Hi... the Korlok is slightly cheaper than the long boards, by $9 and also a good floor. Remember it will need to be laid the same as a floating floor. All flooring should be laid the same way!
Get quotes from everyone and tell them they are competing and see who comes in the cheapest.
Remember though....your floor is the one thing that is used every day!!! It needs be good enough to go the distance so you are not replacing it in a few years. They seem expensive, but for good reason.

Good luck.

Thanks Michelle for the help. Much apprecaited
Hi Michelle

I am seeking ideas to improve flooring in this apartment to make it suitable and comfortable for young children and also bring it up to date.

1. I used SmartStrand with deluxe underlay in my house build and will definitely go for that with carpet if I have carpet. It was worth every cent and stain resistant.

2. Kitchen area as marked on plan along with bathrooms have quite a plain 400 brown ceramic tile which I don’t really like.

3. Carpet needs replacing throughout. The open area and bedrooms are carpet.

4. Wondering if there is any suitable option to go over the tiles in the kitchen or I need to start again? Considering if to re carpet the kitchen dining or do the whole open area and kitchen in another floating option? If that’s an option? Or I could do something in the kitchen that will suit bathrooms but I’m not doing bathrooms for now.

5. I am concerned if I don’t carpet the main area it won’t look as nice with floor transitions in such a small space. Any ideas? The house build was a hardwood floor and I know little about other options.
HI Leksie5000.... I'm currently on a tight time frame with a project I need to finish.
When its complete I'll pop in to have a look at this post for you.
Hi Michelle,

Just wanted to pick your brain a bit, we are looking to get flooring for a double storey house and want to get something with a wood feel top and bottom. I have spoken to various suppliers, and everyone has a different opinion of vinyl, laminate, engineered or solid timber so we are unsure what is the best choice.

So far the quotes I have received for the better quality products are between $90 to $110 installed for vinyl (coretec pro) and laminate (quickstep ultra impressive). I have also seen some suppliers who are able to install solid timber for those prices as well when on special.

I do have concerns about possible water issues so that is one of the reasons I am leaning towards waterproof vinyl or laminate but at the same time if the price for solid timber is the same I'm thinking why not get the real thing. Do you have any thoughts on this and how susceptible is solid wood to spills and humidity? If I had to go solid wood I would choose something with a higher janka rating. I am in Sydney.

Hoping to get your advice!
Wes
Michelle
HI Leksie5000.... I'm currently on a tight time frame with a project I need to finish.

Thanks so much.

Someone recommend to me Novocore for kitchen/dining/living? I’ve only done hardwood before but obviously this is a different project and budgwt
Leksie5000
Michelle

Thanks so much.

Someone recommend to me Novocore for kitchen/dining/living? I’ve only done hardwood before but obviously this is a different project and budgwt

I'm good to pop in tonight, are you still needing help?
Sorry, its been such a busy time for me.
wes2k
Hi Michelle,

Just wanted to pick your brain a bit, we are looking to get flooring for a double storey house and want to get something with a wood feel top and bottom. I have spoken to various suppliers, and everyone has a different opinion of vinyl, laminate, engineered or solid timber so we are unsure what is the best choice.

So far the quotes I have received for the better quality products are between $90 to $110 installed for vinyl (coretec pro) and laminate (quickstep ultra impressive). I have also seen some suppliers who are able to install solid timber for those prices as well when on special.

I do have concerns about possible water issues so that is one of the reasons I am leaning towards waterproof vinyl or laminate but at the same time if the price for solid timber is the same I'm thinking why not get the real thing. Do you have any thoughts on this and how susceptible is solid wood to spills and humidity? If I had to go solid wood I would choose something with a higher janka rating. I am in Sydney.

Hoping to get your advice!
Wes

HI...I'll try for tonight!!
Leksie5000 and wes2k.....are you both still good to go?
I don't want to reply to questions if you have moved on....

Thanks
No idea what that writing is all about.
Choices Flooring have a new engineered 14mm floating flooring.
Its a Chevron board, I love it!! I made a mood board using one of the colours.

Check out their five colours in the link below.

https://www.choicesflooring.com.au/timb ... ing-range/

Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

29/04/2023
Safe Work methods

General Discussion

Block of two storey townhouses requires painting on the roof. A brick parapet wall separates each unit and extends above the tiled roof. The parapet walls require sealing…

12/11/2023
Beginner advice - how can we make this house work for us???

Renovation + Home Improvement

I posted the floorplan on Houzz.com forum and got some really good ideas and advice from people there. Then we reached out to a couple of renovation companies and one…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum