Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

I work in flooring - do you have a flooring question?

Page 30 of 50
Michelle, for an investment property to be sold in Melbourne, what flooring would you recommend in the bedrooms?

Solid hardwood timber or carpet?

I like both for various reasons, carpet feels warmer but I shudder to think how unhealthy it is. I prefer floorboards, softened with rugs.

Doesn't matter what I like, what does the public/buyers prefer?

Good morning JB1,

Carpet is still the preferred flooring in bedrooms, especially in cold areas.
Don't spend a lot of money on the carpet, do a nice twist pile. Avoid the carpet with
squares in it people have really gone off that look.

I took all the carpet out of my house, and am now putting it back into the bedrooms and lounge area,
I was so cold last winter!!

Good luck, take your heart out of the house and remember why you are doing it... $$$$

Hi Michelle,

Is there are a brand and colour carpet that you recommend? Light or dark? Something in the middle.
Hi LucyBear,

I'm still getting to know what Choices call their carpets.
But if you look at a price guide of around $220 and up, that should get you a
fairly good carpet.

If you can wait till I'm back at work Monday I can take some photos for you.
Michelle
Good morning JB1,

Carpet is still the preferred flooring in bedrooms, especially in cold areas.
Don't spend a lot of money on the carpet, do a nice twist pile. Avoid the carpet with
squares in it people have really gone off that look.

I took all the carpet out of my house, and am now putting it back into the bedrooms and lounge area,
I was so cold last winter!!

Good luck, take your heart out of the house and remember why you are doing it... $$$$

Thanks Michelle.

Thanks for the tip about the carpet with little square patterns (I'm assuming that's what you mean).

I'm finding it hard to separate heart and head. I dislike going cheapo. FYI house will be around $1.5m if that makes a difference, I'm more than happy to spend $10k more if it nets me 1% more in the sale price.

I know quite a bit about hardwood flooring but very little about carpet. But on your recommendation I will install carpet im the bedrooms.

I think I prefer the loop pile over twist pile. Your thoughts on loop pile for a bedroom? Or should I stick with twist pile?

As I said, I know very little about carpet. What would it cost for say 60sqm of carpet fully installed, say for medium to high quality carpet?

Hi Michelle,

I went in and looked at a few carpets today.
I like the look of the (?Victoria Carpets?) Urban Lifestyle Ginkgo, and the Gaia Ocean Rd.
Firstly trying to decide if its really worth spending the extra $ on the wool, will it really last that much longer?!
And is the Gaia carpet a quality brand?

Thanks in advance!!
Good morning,

spiffmiff, both those carpets are from Carpet Court, both very popular!
Ocean Road is Cavalier Bremworth carpet. I sold a LOT of that carpet and never had a complaint about it.
The VVC carpet Ginkgo was put into my friends home, she loves it! Just make sure you don't do a light carpet
thats where problems happen with getting dirty and staining.
The darker the better.

I hope this has helped
Thanks Michelle!!

To clarify, do you mean don't do light carpet with the Ginkgo, the Ocean Rd, or both?

The colours I've tentatively chosen is probably mid range (not light but not dark, "Bold" in the Ginkgo).

Thanks again so much!
Sorry....
Both.

Good morning, below photos are using Choices Flooring's "Elements" vinyl planks. 2mm think, direct glued to the slab.
Affordable tough and look great. The vinyl was laid into 6 units.

Heads up... if you are keen on laminate flooring but are concerned about the water issues, check this lot out.
Waterproof laminate and new colours from Quickstep just into the store this afternoon.
No more worrying about those spills

Questions? Let me know....

Could you use that in a bathroom?
http://www.premiumfloors.com.au/brands/ ... -laminate/

Apparently.... you have quite a few hours to wipe up the water, unlike the non waterproof variety.
Hi Michelle, can you explain the difference between Super Tough Engineered Timber (Oak) and Engineered Timber (Oak) specifically to the top layer veneer thickness. I've seen some places sell either a floorboard where the top layer veneer is 1.5mm (15mm floorboard), 4mm (15mm floorboard), and 6mm (20mm floorboard).

eg; this pic looks like 4-8mm of real hardwood

Good morning.... the thinker the top layer of timber the more often that floor can be sanded back. The basic top layer of 3 or 4 mm means you can only sand back once or twice in its life time.

If you choose the right colour in the oaks I think they will look great with a few scratches and dents, like an old church floor.

Remember....timber floor? Felt pads under all your furniture.

Hi, I haven't read the whole thread so you may have answered this already....
We are building a double story house and planning to do floating floors upstairs as well (ie no carpet), but concerned about noise. We are already putting in soundscreen insulation between the floors, but wondering what underlay you would recommend, and whether upgrading it would make a big difference?? For some strange reason the builder is not keen on upgrading it.
Thanks
Michelle
Good morning.... the thinker the top layer of timber the more often that floor can be sanded back. The basic top layer of 3 or 4 mm means you can only sand back once or twice in its life time.

If you choose the right colour in the oaks I think they will look great with a few scratches and dents, like an old church floor.

Remember....timber floor? Felt pads under all your furniture.

Hi Michelle, yes I know about the sanding, my question is why some are 1.5mm and some are 4mm and higher?
Quote:
why some are 1.5mm and some are 4mm and higher?

$$$

Hmm, it's being marketed as "Super Tough Oak"....5mm oak layer compressed to 1.5mm
The thinner they are the cheaper they are. It comes back to the amount of timber
Used. So it's all about pricing and materials.
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

29/04/2023
Safe Work methods

General Discussion

Block of two storey townhouses requires painting on the roof. A brick parapet wall separates each unit and extends above the tiled roof. The parapet walls require sealing…

12/11/2023
Beginner advice - how can we make this house work for us???

Renovation + Home Improvement

I posted the floorplan on Houzz.com forum and got some really good ideas and advice from people there. Then we reached out to a couple of renovation companies and one…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum