Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Secret Nail Gun

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Does anyone know where I can purchase a secret nail gun that fires 18 gauge L cleats that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I am laying 13 mm Jarrah overlay on top of 22 mm particle board.
Also what is the best way to fill knot holes and cracks in the board.
Thanks in advance,
Heath
Hi Barkersontheblock, Timbermate make a great filler for Jarrah. It is readily available at Bunnings and good hardware stores. The colour is Jarrah of course.
Its about $30 for a 2Kg tub. It goes a mile. If it is a little dry, just add a little water and it moistens up. You can even liquify it and trowel a floor off. Cleat guns are arouund $900. Sorry. Reagrds Mark. Quicksand & Polish.
you can hire a secret nailer from some hire mobs. be a lot cheaper than buying one.
mgilla
you can hire a secret nailer from some hire mobs. be a lot cheaper than buying one.

That is the assumption. However if you will need it for a week. Sometimes its best to pay a little more, Buy it. Use it and sell it.

Sometimes things take a lot longer than you expect. Crunch your numbers and be realistic on how long it will take you.

How many m2 of flooring are you laying? If its only one room, than yes it would be cheaper to hire. But if its an entire house, I would buy one and sell it when you are done. Even if you only got 3/4 of the cost back, it made it cheap and you used a quality tool. Hire ones can be....well less than reliable. Some hire places if you hire the thing on a friday after noon and get it back by 9am monday, you only get charged one days hire. So if you can swing that, then that can make a big difference to the cost.
Especially if you can get it done over the weekend. Regards Mark.
qsand
mgilla

That is the assumption. However if you will need it for a week. Sometimes its best to pay a little more, Buy it. Use it and sell it.

This can be applied across a lot of tools too.

I recently just bought a plate compactor for $499 from the big green shed, and whilst I can hire one for $50 per day, I'm going to need one on many occasions to compact the driveway and the turning bays near the house after each delivery of road base. I'm expecting to do on at least 8 separate occasions, plus when I do paving around the back of the house.

Once I'm completely finished I can then sell it off, which means I'll be well in front.

It's really horses for courses, you might find a weekend rental is all you need, or you might find that you need it for a week or more, and the more you rent the difference between buy-sell and renting closes up quite rapidly.
I have checked with Kennards they hire one out at $65.00 a day or two hundred for a week but also have a friend in the USA how might be able to get one for me and bring it with them when they com visit next week so hopefully that will work out.
And another question on filling holes in my floorboards what do you use for large holes do I use the timbermate or something else.
Cheers
Heath
Related
17/11/2023
Help understanding Boundary Survey and Nail Location

Building A New House

ask the surveyor for clarification would be the logical approach

23/12/2023
How to fix gaps, nail holes, cracked wall/paint from skirtin

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi there, I just recently received my new house from my builder. We handed the house to another company to deal with the…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum