Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Tiling advice please. Conflicting advice re:clips.

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Just wondering how essential it is to use clips for 600x600 rectified tiles? We're getting conflicting advice from the tilers who've quoted for us and we don't know who to believe. Some are giving us the option to pay more per sqm if we want them to use clips, others say it's not necessary cause it can exacerbate wonky levels through the slab/room.

This will be on a concrete slab with no screeding (as we've been told that's only necessary in wet areas).

Any advice appreciated!
Hi Emy

Even if it is a new concrete slab it does not mean it is flat. Tilers screed a floor to maintain a flat surface to lay the tiles on. The larger the tile (and when recitficated especially) the less tolerance you have when laying the tiles. My knowledge on the clips is not extensive. But it works by leveling the face of one tile to the next, as when you clip it and then use the wedge the overall height is set by the adjoinong tile. So I am not sure how that would exaggerate levels....Sorry for not giving you a 100% clear answer but hope it helps.

Cheers
Horses for coarses, it comes down to the tiler.
A large custom build project im supervising right now has 600x600 tiles in the bath and ens.
The tiling contractor I used had 2 tradesman on site, the one that did the bathroom used clips and the one who did the ens didnt.
I would challenge anyone to walk into both rooms and tell which one the clips were used on.
Thanks for the replies guys. The tiler we've ended up going with has said he can use them if we want him to (and pay for them) but he doesn't normally use them and thinks they don't make a difference. I asked him how he can prevent lipping etc and he said "by taking my time and being careful". So we were happy with that explanation!
Related
18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

4/11/2023
Tiling over old adhesive

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi, I'm clearing the tiles from our horrid 50 year old bathroom and preparing to lay new ones. Bugger of a job getting the old…

15/04/2024
Pro finish tiling group

Renovation + Home Improvement

The wallopers will just say it's a civil matter.

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum