Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Flooring help

Page 1 of 1
Hi all.

Starting to build my first home and the first big decision i have to make with regards to the interior is the floor covering. I am leaning towards vinyl flooring throughout. I really like the look of wooden floorboards, however they are a bit out of my price range.

In my original consult with my builder, he put in a costing of $34.2/m2. After having a look through this forum, it seems that vinyl plank seems to be a superior product to sheet vinyl. Is this much more expensive than sheet vinyl? I have seen a couple of comments mentioning that vinyl plank is a much better look for wooden look flooring since the pattern isn't repeated as much as sheet vinyl. Is this true? Given that I am looking to do this throughout, are vinyl planks safe in wet areas?
i have been looking at different option for flooring including the vinyl planks.
at the moment i am leaning towards merbau timber as i could not find the exact look i am after.
several salespeople i have talked to have suggested the vinyl planks especially for kitchen and wet areas.
there is also a new product on the market and can be used for wet areas it is a vinyl plank. sorry do not know name as just quickly glanced at the carpet store but it was suubmerged in water and had no warping.
i would go around and look at the vinyls and laminate as there is a huge range and quite good quality
Thanks.

I have been advised that using timber laminate in wet areas will not be under warranty, will have to ask about vinyl plank.
i priced the vinyl planks today installed i have been quoted $80 per sqm,
and they would be good around the kitchen area.
i have merbau quick step timber in the front entrance so am tossing up what to put in the upper level of the house. also leaning towards bamboo which was $115 installed.
the quick step 2mm vinyl roll that is glued to the floor was $70 per sqm installed
these are prices in a regional country town . but hope it helps give you an idea
Cool, thanks 1rocky. I'm pretty sure my quote just includes supply. It is actually a great helps I also live in regional Victoria, so hopefully the prices are close.
they should be pretty close,
with bathrooms and laundry i would stay with tiles they are easy and you will not have to replace. with the vinyl planks are you considering using them also in the bedrooms or just carpet
Whatever I use I will use throughout the house. I lived in a house with wooden floorboards everywhere for 8 years and I loved it
Related
8/07/2023
Need help with flooring options

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, I'm a conplete newbie to this, but I'm looking to put a floor down in my 6x9m shed. It's currently sitting on a 100mm thick concrete perimeter (dirt floor…

6/07/2023
Hebel Flooring PLUS Insulation or Not?

General Discussion

1000000% definitely add insulation. I have in my home and it makes a big difference minimising sound transfer. Insulation is pretty cheap and definitely worth it

6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum