Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Engineered oak flooring from preference flooring

Page 1 of 1
G'day all, has anyone had any experience with engineered oak flooring? In particular preference floorings range. My wife and I fell in love with the latte, but we are scared that oak may be too soft. We have 2 older staffies who are still a little energetic when they first get to come inside. I'm thinking if we get their nails clipped often and last resort get doggie socks we should be ok, we really want this flooring!!!!
What is the price that you have been quoted on this? I got mine of a supplier who gave me really good pricing of approx $65 per m2
I was also looking at this flooring. Looks great. Sounds like you can sand them back if needed too.

James: can you advise who your supplier was? I'm in Sydney.
Hello

I renovated my townhouse earlier in the year and chose 21mm Preference Wide Oak Chardonnay for the downstairs area (lounge, kitchen, dining), the stairs and the landing on the 2nd floor.

It was dearer than other brands but the extra expense has been worth every cent. The wide boards have made my modest 2 bedroom townhouse seem more spacious overall and I love the matt finish. I'm so happy with the results. It looks beautiful and is easy to clean. The floor feels very luxurious underfoot and has imbued my townhouse with a sense of solidity it never had before.

The Janka rating is not as high as other types of wood, such as Australian Ironbark, so I had some concerns about the hardness of the floor as well. So far I've been surprised at how hard it seems. As with all wooden floors I would avoid dragging heavy objects like furniture across the surface. However I've dropped sharp and hard objects on the floor without leaving a mark. I have a cat that loves running around on it and so far there have been no scratches. Not sure if a dog's claws would leave scratches.

One thing to bear in mind is the thickness, particularly during the installation. I had to have the bottom of doors cut, which was annoying but apparently this is a common procedure when installing a wooden floor in a space that had carpet. However it is good to know that due to the thickness I can have this floor sanded several times, extending it's lifespan. I believe Preference also supplies flooring in 19mm as well.

My supplier was South Coast Flooring in Wollongong. The installation was done by Universal Floors.

Hope this helps because I know how hard it is to decide.

Delbel
We chose engineered oak for our floors. Not from that supplier, but oak is oak. All timber is relatively soft. The way I see it, if you have decided you want timber in your house, just go for the one you really like, as it is much of a muchness in terms of how easily it will mark. All timber will mark relatively easily, just don't let anyone wear heels inside!
FYI- we're painting the quad winter mushroom to match the skirting

delbel43
Hello

I renovated my townhouse earlier in the year and chose 21mm Preference Wide Oak Chardonnay for the downstairs area (lounge, kitchen, dining), the stairs and the landing on the 2nd floor.

It was dearer than other brands but the extra expense has been worth every cent. The wide boards have made my modest 2 bedroom townhouse seem more spacious overall and I love the matt finish. I'm so happy with the results. It looks beautiful and is easy to clean. The floor feels very luxurious underfoot and has imbued my townhouse with a sense of solidity it never had before.

The Janka rating is not as high as other types of wood, such as Australian Ironbark, so I had some concerns about the hardness of the floor as well. So far I've been surprised at how hard it seems. As with all wooden floors I would avoid dragging heavy objects like furniture across the surface. However I've dropped sharp and hard objects on the floor without leaving a mark. I have a cat that loves running around on it and so far there have been no scratches. Not sure if a dog's claws would leave scratches.

One thing to bear in mind is the thickness, particularly during the installation. I had to have the bottom of doors cut, which was annoying but apparently this is a common procedure when installing a wooden floor in a space that had carpet. However it is good to know that due to the thickness I can have this floor sanded several times, extending it's lifespan. I believe Preference also supplies flooring in 19mm as well.

My supplier was South Coast Flooring in Wollongong. The installation was done by Universal Floors.

Hope this helps because I know how hard it is to decide.

Delbel

Hi Delbel

We are also interested in the 220wide oak ( mink grey color) , do u mind share what's the cost / sqm for the timber ? Also , the installation ? Many thanks
Hello

The timber was $94 sqm. I have seen it for $88 sqm through online suppliers.

The installation was around $2,180. This includes removal of skirting, underlay, glue, removal of carpet and some tiles, plus I had my stairs done as well so that added to the complexity of the project.

Overall, including GST, it was just over $7,100.

Delbel
delbel43
Hello

The timber was $94 sqm. I have seen it for $88 sqm through online suppliers.

The installation was around $2,180. This includes removal of skirting, underlay, glue, removal of carpet and some tiles, plus I had my stairs done as well so that added to the complexity of the project.

Overall, including GST, it was just over $7,100.

Delbel

Many thanks Delbel, it is very helpful

we are bouncing between the "Mink Grey" and the "Mascato" color right now .........
Scott2233
we are bouncing between the "Mink Grey" and the "Mascato" color right now .........

I love the look of the mink grey too!

Does anyone have any other suggestions on other wide plank floor boards which are similar?
Jamesbp: Any chance you can remember where you got your preference boards from? $65 is a really good price!
Hi All,

We are looking at flooring options and initially looked at Bamboo but steered away due to the feedback regarding warping/cupping and expansion espcially as we have large open planned design rooms.

We are now looking at Engineered Timber Flooring however unsure on the durability and wear based on reviews.

We have looked at two Engineered Timber brands: Universal Flooring Oak and Preference Oak.

Can anyone please advise on their experience with Bamboo or Engineered Timber from the above brands or any other.

Thanks
GPK
Hi All, know this is an old thread, though just wondering if anyone else ended up going with the preference wide oak (21mm) flooring? Or if you've had it for a while, how is it holding up against Kids and furniture etc. Also how happy are you with the light/dark colour you chose? We're torn between Aged Oak and Mink Grey....We're just in the early stages of our build and are looking for something wide and matt that can be sanded again if need be down the track, so any advice or reviews on the Preference Flooring would be great! Cheers!
Hi,
I am also interested in preference flooring - we are tossing up between Mink Grey and Chocolate. Does anyone have any photos of Mink Grey installed?

Scott did you end up going with Mink Grey?
Looking at the Preference 21mm wide oak floors too and I am liking the grange, mink grey and chocolat colours too. Would love to hear your experience with this brand. If you could post some pictures we'd appreciate it!
Has anyone got any further info on the Preference Oak flooring?

Cost?
Supplier?
Pics?

I love it also and am leaning towards the Mink Grey.
Apologies for my delayed response. Mine was engineered oak from a different supplier who imports his own flooring and does commercial jobs.
I'm looking into preference white sands. Has anyone used this? Thoughts?
I installed 90sqm of the Preference White Sands 12 months ago through an open plan living, dining, kitchen area. It looks great even after the wear and tear of children, animals and furniture moving and I have experienced no issues with it. I have just installed another 115sqm through the downstairs rumpus and bedrooms. This area remains largely unused and is not heated over the winter period, it's a little like the temperature of a cellar in the cooler months. And being in a cooler climate (the Adelaide Hills) the installer said I should watch for temperature fluctuations that may affect the floor. I was wondering whether or not I should run some kind of heating downstairs over the winter months - has anyone heard of or had experience with this?
Hi everyone, planing on buying the Preferences Parana 1900 x 190 x 15/4mm. Would love feedback from those who have bought the board and had it in for a while. Any feedback would be greatly appreciate 😊

Th aka so much
JJ16
Hi everyone, planing on buying the Preferences Parana 1900 x 190 x 15/4mm. Would love feedback from those who have bought the board and had it in for a while. Any feedback would be greatly appreciate 😊

Th aka so much

Parana looks good, did you go for that one at the end? how was your experience.
thanks.
Related
6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

18/08/2023
Engineered Timber Installation - Floating vs Direct stick

General Discussion

Thanks Simon, I guess I'm no concerned with the volume of the noise rather that dead and hollow sound and feel that is associated with floating floors. But I'm not sure…

6/07/2023
Hebel Flooring PLUS Insulation or Not?

General Discussion

1000000% definitely add insulation. I have in my home and it makes a big difference minimising sound transfer. Insulation is pretty cheap and definitely worth it

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum