Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Hair and Dirt in Wood floor finish

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

Just want some opinions please, we have spotted gum floors with a satin finish on them. The wood is amazing however all over the floor there is sand, dirt and hair that seems to be caught in the finish. There are at least 30 hairs that I have counted and some are up to 15cm long. The sand obviously leaves a gritty feel underfoot and there are probably 10 or so patches about the size of dinner plates like this. It really detracts from the floors. Is this quite normal, I know things cant be 100% clean but I would have thought it shouldn't be this bad. My hubby want them to come back and refinish the floor - what are your thoughts. Sorry but I cant post pics as I cant get the zoom enough to show it properly
definitely not something I would accept! Get them back to inspect and insist on a fix! Someone else on here had an issue with hairs too but can't remember who?!
How disappointing for you. That's not something I would put up with. I'd be getting them back pronto. Good luck!
Just sounds like they didn't buff the floor before the final coat. I would definitely get them back.

Standard practice is to buff the next to last coat with a screen grit, vacuum the floor thoroughly, wipe with a damp tack cloth and then coat.
Thanks for your responses. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over reacting. The flooring guy came out today and agreed that it wasn't a great finish. He seems to think that sand has been blown onto the top coat due to a draft. Must have been a pretty big draft to blow through out the whole house and it doesn't explain all the hairs. However they have agreed (I think) to take back the top coat and recoat. Hopefully that will end up being better.
Fingers crossed it's better next time around...
Related
15/04/2024
Pro finish tiling group

Renovation + Home Improvement

The wallopers will just say it's a civil matter.

14/01/2024
Render finish

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

But they didn't even leave it at one level it goes up and down along the whole front of the house

27/04/2024
Polytec Ravine finish

Building A New House

Horizontal costs extra, and depending on door sizes (and colour) vertical may not be possible.

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum