Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

HOw do i know if a carpet is going to be any good? what spec

Page 1 of 1
We are trying to decide on a carpet. Not El Cheapo and not fully expensive as we have kids and they are sure to stain it some how.

We got a quote on a carpet at carpet call "lasting Impresions" is what they called it

Cutpile Luxury | Guage 1/8 | Pile Weight 32oz/m2 | Guarantee 10 years | Stain Gaurantee 5 Years.

Underlay 10mm foam

I have no idea what im looking at.

Yes i felt the smartstrand corn carpet at harvey norman - yes its so incredibly awesome and i can see what all the hype is but i dont know if we should spend the 2k it will cost than the above mentioned cartpet. with kids is it worth it.
The Smartstrand Silk ( the one you probably looked at is called Gentle Essence) is 60 ounce. You may have looked at Silk Classic, but more than likely Gentle Essence......60 oz compared to 32oz....almost twice as much carpet, not to mention the gigantic difference between solution dyed nylon made in the Middle East (the mail is that carpet is imported from Dubai) versus Smartstrand made in the state of Georgia in the United States with the yarn coming from DuPont.

There is simply no comparison.

You mention staining and that you have children.....Solution Dyed Nylon still requires topical fluro carbon chemicals to be applied to it to block the dye sites and also reduce the events of soiling. Smartstrand has NO post production chemicals sprayed onto it. Tests conducted in the United States suggest that most fluro carbon chemical stain treatments last about 3 steam cleans then their usefulness is drastically reduced.

Smartstrand doesn't have any treatment because it simply doesn't need it. You can clean it with water.

The fibre is amazing compared to solution dyed nylon.

The Smartstand Fibre is warranted for LiFE against sauce, coffee, red wine, mustard, cordial, beet root, the list goes on and on,
even pets are covered. What other carpet is warranted against pet ?

All other carpets except ones made from Triexta (the trade name for Smartstrand) have clauses which say they are specifically NOT warranted against any household spills that contain strong dyes.....even the ones with so called 15 year warranties.

There are many other reasons to justify the extra $2k, like the fact it won't fade in the sun for 25 year or that it's covered for texture retention of the actual twisted yarn (each fibre is warranted to not unravel) for 25 years plus its made and backed by the biggest floor covering manufacturer in the world, Mohawk Industries.

To top it off, you get a 30 day satisfaction warranty where Mohawk will give you new carpet within 30 days if you choose the wrong colour or style (actually you don't need a reason). That's how confident we and they are about Smartstrand.

At the end of the day, we sell SDN too, but are passionate about Smartstrand because it simply has no peers when it comes to the benefits it offers our customers.

PS. The HALF YEARLY SALE is on at. The moment and the carpet is reduced plus you can have 50 months interest free to pay for it. Sale
Ends 30th June.
HN Flooring - can I please ask you a question (sorry for the hijack OP!). With the flooring sale that you have on now, how would it work when we need to order carpet for an upcoming build....? Do we get sale prices even though it probably won't be needed for about 6 months?! :s And do we just bring the drafted plans of the house in to order things with you?
EmyN
HN Flooring - can I please ask you a question (sorry for the hijack OP!). With the flooring sale that you have on now, how would it work when we need to order carpet for an upcoming build....? Do we get sale prices even though it probably won't be needed for about 6 months?! :s And do we just bring the drafted plans of the house in to order things with you?

That's easy !

YES & YES.

If you look at the Smartstrand or Everstrand carpets from Mohawk for example, or Allure floating floor or most other hard floors like Timbrmax or Timber Impressions, they all have one thing in common. They are imported and purchased in $US.

This means that as the $AU dollar falls, they become more expensive to buy. So by purchasing now (deposit) you secure the pricing as it is now. By the time your home is ready the dollar may well be at $.80 US which would mean you'd be paying another 15% on imported goods. If its a fair area, that could add up.
Remember to ask about "Permanent Pile Reversal"
This affects cut pile carpet, with no explanation. Looks absolutely terrible and is not covered under the carpet warranty.
Related
22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum