Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Tiled entryway, but the rest...?

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone seen a house where the entryway has been tiled, but the kitchen/living areas have floorboards? Odd question I know but hubby suggested we do this and I can't see how it would work, so want to see some examples.
hi MrsT12, did you lay your timber floors yet? Just came across your post while researching prefinished timber floors. We are currently having polished porcelain laid in the entry of our new build and were planning to use floorboards in the adjoining lounge room. It looks really nice in my head, but your doubts have got me wondering now.
Nah we won't be starting to build for a few more months yet, waiting on the land to be titled. It could very well look nice, I've just never seen it before! If you see it anywhere else make sure you share some pics so I can see
If you do a google image search with "tiled entryway", you'll see a lot that don't look very good.
Though I don't see a problem as long as it's done right, :

I think it looks ok so long as you are very careful to select complimentary colors. It can get tricky, as colors can be warm and cool (ie cool reds vs warm reds, etc).

Notice in the 4th photo above it works quite well because of that.

Whichever flooring you pic first, take a sample with you when you look for the rest, compare them. If you are photo editing savy, you can repeat one to get a sense of a big space of that flor, and then add a little area of a photo of the other. This will give you a better idea.

Personally I would go straight floorboards, but then I really dislike tiles (especially grout!). Why is your husband suggesting a tiled entryway?

I also have seen some fantastic tiles that look like wood! They're safe for use in wet areas and everything

HD
Ooh that fourth photo is really nice!

LittleWing
Why is your husband suggesting a tiled entryway?

Because we went to Italy last year and he's since become obsessed with marble-look :p
MrsT12
Ooh that fourth photo is really nice!

LittleWing
Why is your husband suggesting a tiled entryway?

Because we went to Italy last year and he's since become obsessed with marble-look :p

Lol oh my that's rather cute! I think you guys can have great success with the tiled entryway. Stick to the same colour family and you will be fine!
of course we are here to help too
I studied fine arts and love colour so just love to help

HD
Related
16/01/2024
Now It's 0.3mm Gap For Double Glazing. It beats all the rest

Windows & Doors

This is one of the reasons I decided to go overseas for my double glazed windows. As the builder indicated, he's worked on many upmarket builds, these were the most well…

20/06/2023
Gutter cleaning tools for concrete tiled roof.

General Discussion

No, I even have sections of narrowness where the tiles won't slide up any further. When I manage some spare time, I might play around with the first DIY part of my…

24/02/2024
Surfmist tiled roof - unsure about gutter colour

General Discussion

Thank you so much. We ended going with the terrain that’s part of our brick.

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum