Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

How to select solid timber floor?

Page 1 of 1
Around 65 square meter, $4000 budget including install.
Can I get good solid timber floor for that price?
Any recommended supplier in Sydney?
Regarding the timber, is Tasmania oak good?

Thank you J
you will have to up your budget a bit if you want timber flooring. (Maybe double)

Tasmanian oak is ok but a very plain looking timber. Blackbut will look much nicer. But there are many others out there.
Buy your flooring direct from Renovator Auctions (Laws Auctions) in Western Sydney. These are standard and better grade packs (end of run and such) from Hurfords/Boral etc. I send a lot of clients their way (particularly when they are looking to save money. You can buy some timbers for around $25 per sqm (quarter price).

Then do some homework and install the floor yourself - its not a difficult job you just need to be methodical.

And then bring in a pro to sand the floor (in Sydney for around $30 per sqm).

Thats an supplied, installed and finished hardwood timber floor over 65sqm for around $4000.

Best of luck
If your buying a new one - I tend to think Tassie Oak/Vic Ash is too soft. If your after a cream coloured floor then look at maybe blackbutt or even mixed hardwoods.
Sorry namtrak, you still have a lot to factor into that price. Including glue, vapour barrier, plywood and concrete nails.

Personal I not a fan of auction houses for timber. only because when working with timber you prefer to have timber than is straight and consistant. Also with the auction method you are discussing you can not usually go in there and specificy exactly how much you want it is usally set lots.
Plywood, large amounts of glue, concrete nails and vapour barrier are only for timber floors going onto slabs. The OP didn't specify what the substrate is.

Its the same thing I say to all my clients, if $$ is imperative and you want a solid timber floor - then the process I listed is a viable option. The packs are from some of the largest millers in Australia. Most packs are around 40 sqm which allows for a decent amount of excess.

As always it is caveat emptor. I made a business decision a long time ago to only ever work with solid timber floors - so the recommendations I am making are based only on solid timber floors, if the clients want to buy alternatives like engineered floors, timber laminates, bamboo and so forth - then they are on their own.

I see they do now have a online buying setup but personally I would only buy direct off the floor
Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciate!
namtrak
Buy your flooring direct from Renovator Auctions (Laws Auctions) in Western Sydney. These are standard and better grade packs (end of run and such) from Hurfords/Boral etc. I send a lot of clients their way (particularly when they are looking to save money. You can buy some timbers for around $25 per sqm (quarter price).

Then do some homework and install the floor yourself - its not a difficult job you just need to be methodical.

And then bring in a pro to sand the floor (in Sydney for around $30 per sqm).

Thats an supplied, installed and finished hardwood timber floor over 65sqm for around $4000.

Best of luck

Hi Namtrak,

Thanks for your advice. We are looking to lay 200sqm in our new two-storey house and like blackbutt so far. I like the idea of buying the wood and then getting someone to lay it but how do you know the quality you are getting if you buy the wood yourself, especially from an auction house?

Thanks!
I just bought 40 sqm of Spotted Gum from there off the floor yesterday. I pulled the pack apart, and it is great quality. Cost around $25 per sqm. Just go along and have a look through all the packs there (there are hundreds) - a very affordable way to do timber floor imho
Related
6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

19/08/2023
Solid plastering around door frames - help... so confused :(

General Discussion

If this is a custom build then I would expect the builder to set out the door frame closer to the wall to avoid the gap between architrave and the wall and or specify…

5/09/2023
Water Underneath Timber Floor

General Discussion

The most likely cause of your timber swelling (parquetry?) is either a plumbing leak or carelessly leaving water on floors after use or both. Without seeing, i am ignoring…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum