Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Carpet help, wool vs nylon?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
I have just started looking in to flooring options for our new build.

It is all a little new to me so, would like to know your thoughts on wool vs nylon?
Is it a personal preference, or is one better then the other?

I have found a solution dyed nylon twist carpet named Brease Aquila that is on sale for $48.90 installed they told me it is a heavy duty carpet, does this sound like a good price? And does anyone have this one in there home?

We are only having carpet in the bedrooms.
My preference would be a wool blend, its agood combination of wools incredible properties and warmth with nylons cost effectiveness
Personally I prefer rugs, due to all the muck that gets caught in carpets. You can take a rug outside and beat it clean. Every single time, no matter how good your vaccum happens to be, it's amazing how much more dirt will fall out.

But the advantage of wool or wool blend carpet is that it "springs back" after heavy furniture indentations much better than anything else. If you are someone who likes switching around furniture in the bedroom a wool or wool blend is the way to go. And this means the appearance will stay new looking year after year as it is the most durable natural fibre there is. It is also the best insulator. However it can also stain easier than some of the acrylics.

It is also somewhat fire retardant in that it burns slowly and the fire can be extinguished more easily.
Thanks for you help

I am not really going to be changing furniture around in the bedrooms, so that wouldn't bother me.

I will have another look at wool blend carpets on the weekend, we do have a budget of max $50 mt installed so will have to see what is available for at pricing.
I've always paid top dollar for pure wool carpet ,except for this new build I have solution dyed nylon.
I've only got carpet in the bedrooms and really how much wear do bedrooms get. I found the wool stained and so far am really happy with the nylon.
nothing like this one:

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/flooring- ... -silk.aspx

HN have recently introduced this here

Love it!!
Kassy, will have to have a look, do you know what is the price on that one?
Hi Ren123,

The SILK would be above your budget you mentioned above, however we may be able to squeeze the original Smartstrand Twist into your budget. It is still a fantastic carpet and is the success story of the carpet industry. Over 150 kilometres of Smartstrand Twist has been installed in Australia in thousands of homes with great outcomes. The SILK iatelier latest version and is thicker and softer, just like buying an iPad 3 instead of an iPad 2 ! Both great tablets but one is a newer version.

Best wishes for your carpet purchase.
Sorry to hijack, but just wondering if anyone can recommend a good way to clean wool carpet? We've only been in our house a few months but when we moved, my bub was still in the chucky stage so I have white/milk spew stains (sounds gross right?), now the milk marks come out easily but no matter what I use to clean it with it leaves a ring or dark patch like it still wet. Even if I only use a damp cloth with only water on it, it's driving me nuts!

Oh so ren123, I'll have to agree with Abby, wool does stain!
selina2106
Sorry to hijack, but just wondering if anyone can recommend a good way to clean wool carpet? We've only been in our house a few months but when we moved, my bub was still in the chucky stage so I have white/milk spew stains (sounds gross right?), now the milk marks come out easily but no matter what I use to clean it with it leaves a ring or dark patch like it still wet. Even if I only use a damp cloth with only water on it, it's driving me nuts!

Oh so ren123, I'll have to agree with Abby, wool does stain!

It sounds like the "dark patch" is soiling sticking to the soap or whatever you used to clean the milk out. If you get a professional cleaner from either the Australian Carpet Cleaning Institute or Woolsafe (google them for phone numbers) they can advise you of a professional cleaner in your area.
I've always found that a weak solution of wool mix and a dash of vinegar (lhalf a tsp ) mixed in warm water worked wonders with stains on wool... Repeat as needed after completely drying out after each application. Usually a stain that turns darker happens because it wasn't completely dry and someone walked over it and trod more dirt into it. So best to do this in summer or dry with a hairdryer that's on the lowest heat. Once it was pretty dry I kept the family from walking over it by putting a clean tea towel on the floor to sop up any excess- as wool can look and feel dry and still be a bit damp....!
There are some tips on cleaning and also a link to the Australain Carpet Cleaning Institute here on this article:

http://flooringadviceblog.blogspot.com. ... r.html?m=1
Related
16/05/2023
Best carpet deals in perth

Flooring & Floor Covering

Have you tried Parry's or Carpet Court?

17/08/2023
Carpet in the bedroom vs Tiles vs Hybrid Flooring

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi Yash, Have you made a decision yet?

2/08/2023
Ramping Carpet Up To Bathroom Level

General Discussion

they can, it's a fairly standard solution when the slab isn't recessed. the falls need to be in the main floor, if it hasn't been done then you need to ask them to redo…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum