Join Login
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering

Carpet vs Floating floorboards vs tiles

Page 1 of 1
Originally we were going to have 600 square beige tiles in the entrance, dining, kitchen, family and hallway. I thought it may look a bit cold and then changed it to floating floors. Now thinking maybe carpet in a couple rooms (besides bedrooms, lounge and rumpus.) At the moment we have very old carpet, which I like the warmth of it, but not practical because it is in the family room where we eat meals.
1. What is the best flooring in these rooms.
2. Is it strange to have the 3 types of flooring in a house.
3. What is the best combinations
There is not a real lot of natural lighting in house. What is the price difference between the 3. Any suggestions please. Thanks.
1. What is the best flooring in these rooms
By "best" if you mean hardwearing and low maintenance, here are the pros and cons:
Tiles: very hardwearing, takes a lot of traffic and animal friendly, but grout gets dirty. Cold underfoot in winter but can gain heat from ambient sources.
Floating floor: easy clean, but can't take moisture. Spills will spoil the floor, making it swell. You need felt or carpet cups on chair legs to prevent scratches from furniture.
Vinyl plank: comes in very realistic wood patterns- everyone asks my mother what wood it is. Easy clean, does not scratch easily. Not cold underfoot generally.

2. Is it strange to have 3 types of flooring

I don't think it's "strange", exactly, but rather, not good design. Your house won't "flow" and it may appear smaller overall. Make sure that the divisions are "natural" i.e. run the same surface through your line of sight wherever possible, for instance, through a doorway into a passage. Try to have as much continuity in your line of sight as you can to avoid breaking up spaces.

3. The best combinations? Up to you. Everyone will have a different opinion on this!
If your house doesn't have much natural light you need to go for lighter colours and more reflective surfaces to avoid the spaces looking gloomy. So gloss tiles or floating natural bamboo, lighter coloured woods like Tassie Oak, would be the go.

If you think tiles might be a bit cold, consider area rugs. These are easily rolled up, taken outside and beaten on the line once every few months and maintained with regular vacuuming. Best of all, if they get too stained you can buy a new rug without the expense of ripping up carpet.

Sorry, can't help with prices, because they vary widely depending on the quality, make, thickness, and where you live.
I have all 3 in my house; tiles in wet areas (laundry & bathrooms), carpet in bedrooms & lounge and floorboards everywhere else (entry, hallway, living area/kitchen). I think they look great but im a little biased
Personally I dislike tiles in living areas but it's a matter of personal choice.

With regards to cost it depends on the quality of what you put down but in my house the timber was most expensive followed by carpet then finally tiles.
carpets in bedrooms and tiles in rest of the house.
Thanks so much for your imput. We have decided to get spotted gum in the living areas and carpet in the bedrooms, lounge and rumpus. That way it wont seem as cold as tiles.
Related
22/04/2024
Floating floor boards over slate tiles

General Discussion

To put anything over slate you will need to put self level compound over the entire area as slate various in thickness and is very un even. To install most types of…

17/08/2023
Carpet in the bedroom vs Tiles vs Hybrid Flooring

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi Yash, Have you made a decision yet?

18/08/2023
Engineered Timber Installation - Floating vs Direct stick

General Discussion

Thanks Simon, I guess I'm no concerned with the volume of the noise rather that dead and hollow sound and feel that is associated with floating floors. But I'm not sure…

You are here
Building ForumFlooring & Floor Covering
Home
Pros
Forum